Graphics Cards

Pro Member Trainee
azabro Trainee

Hi, Say I have just bought a new graphics card, and just want to pop it straight in, do certain cards require different slots? If so, How do I locate the Graphics Card Slot. Thanks! 😀

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest

Hi azabro, Hopefully it's a AGP card or if your rig is newest, a PCI-express. AGP slots are brown and right next to CPU. If you got a PCI card, you should return it and get a AGP card. PCI slots are white. HTHs, rob

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Hi azabro 😉
There are two ways to determine whether you have an AGP or PCIe slot by visual inspection:

* One method is to measure the amount of space between the back edge of the motherboard (which will be the side closest to the back of your PC) and the graphics card slot on the board.
* Another method is to look at the adjacent graphics card slots.

AGP slots are farther away from the back edge of the motherboard — typically about 2.5 inches. The other slots on the graphics card are conventional PCI slots, which are typically all the same size.

PCIe slots are closer to the back edge of the motherboard — typically about 1.6 inches. The other slots on the graphics card are PCIe slots, which can be of varying sizes.

Before you buy your video card, you should check what slots are available on your motherboard. There are 3 types of slots available today: PCI, AGP, and PCI Express :

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

azabro wrote:

Hi, Say I have just bought a new graphics card, and just want to pop it straight in, do certain cards require different slots? If so, How do I locate the Graphics Card Slot. Thanks! 😀

It's not hard, but you should have some idea what you are doing. First thing is to make sure you have the correct type card for your computer, AGP, PCI Express, PCI are the ones you are likely to find with PCI being the least likely. If your motherboard has graphics on it you may not have a video expansion slot but you may still have a PCI slot. If you have a slot the card will fit into you will be able to use the card. You should read the part of the manual that covers installation thoroughly. You might want to download the latest drivers for your card from the manufacturer before you install it. If you tell people here what kind of computer and what kind of card you bought for it you can probably get more specific help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Goto Crucial's website and run there graphics card scan

This will run a quick scan and tell what motherboard, memory & graphics card you can have.

Pro Member Trainee
azabro Trainee

Liono, Thanks So Much!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Wing-man: Very nice job with the illustrated pictures.

I didn't want your work to go unnoticed. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

CRJCapt wrote:

Wing-man: Very nice job with the illustrated pictures.

I didn't want your work to go unnoticed. 🙂

👍 🍻

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...