help on startup please

meylan Guest

after reading some off the help topics on the forum,i think i need to use the run as administrator option to start fs4 buuuuuuuuuuut i dont know the password as windows xp was already on the pc when i got it . the problem is it just goes back to my desk top when i double click the fs4 shortcut any help getting me off the ground please thanks

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

if you dont knwo the password you may have to reinstall windows xp.

However try this method.

#1 Reboot

#2 press f5 or relevant key for your system till you get a range of options

#3 startup in safe mode and if noone set an administrator password when winxp was setup then you should be able to click administrator and it should take you straight in.

Hoep this helps 🙂

thanks for your quick reply i dont have the windowsxp disk to reinstall . when i reboot my computer it starts automatically press f5 no options appear Embarassed

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Is this an XP Pro or Home Edition? You should still getba splash screen before Windows boots up...??? Not sure why you don't. Before you get the interface of Windows you should see a black screen at that time you should be able to press and hold down F8 and it should get you into the choices for boot up there no matter what version of XP it is. Did you buy this from an individual or is it a new machine? Your admin is not normally set up.

thanks ed started windows in safe mode then ranas administrator but it said this service is not availible in safe mode is there anything else i can try my heads fell off, a microsoft game ona microsoft os and it doesnt work ..........................................

Pro Member Trainee
Greg1138 Trainee

Anonymous wrote:

thanks ed started windows in safe mode then ranas administrator but it said this service is not availible in safe mode is there anything else i can try my heads fell off, a microsoft game ona microsoft os and it doesnt work ..........................................

If you don't have the original XP disc, you must have your manafacturer's rescue disc.....try using that in your drive when trying Jamier's sequence.......alternatively invest in a genuine Windows Cd!

could you please verify , i can only run fs4 in administrator mode is this the only way

Madbrit Guest

Sorry to have to ask but can you first confirm that both Windows and FS are not pirated copies?

fs9 is genuin as for windows i dont know it was on the pc when i got it , does this make a diiferrence

ive tried loads of different things but one i couldt try was rebuilding my fs9confg file when i typed %appdata%\microsoft\fs9 inthe run box i got windows can not find c documents .. anymore help plzzzzz

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Click on start then search.
Click on files and folders.
Click on more advanced options.
Put a dot (bullet) in the first 3, not the last two.
Type fs9.cfg in the top and search.

Radar

thanks radarman did that and it found nothing so is it a problem the installation do you think

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

if you uninstalled it then that is something i would not do ( something I!!! would not do )

ive noticd that most of the problems like these happen to the people that have uninstalled the game.

anyone else noticed this

i dont know what to do now as everybody else got a fs9.cfg file (prob a stupid question ) but ive been trying to get this game working for three days now . ive got combat simulator , i know its a differrent keetle of fish but that works ,, thanks for everybodys help so far . ill check later for any more replies , loosing sleep

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm afraid I don't know what your asking.

Has it ever worked.

If not check "My Documents" for a folder that's labeled "Flight Simulator", you have to have that in order for the sim to launch.

You also have to have the latest DirectX 9.0c.

Did you do a complete install or just a partial.

What type of video card do you have and what are your system specs.

Radar

Howgold Guest

If you have IE 7 beta 2 installed on your machine, that is the likely cause of your problem. It will prevent FS from loading. I experienced the same problem. Simply uninstall IE7 and your Flight Sim should be good to go.

ok radar man its never worked i never leave my desk top when i double click it it does not create files in my documets , ive tried creating my own files in my document no good . ive got directx 9c and its a complete install . my system specs are really embarressing
AMD sempron(tm) 2400+
1.67 ghz proceser
192 ram
onboard 64 video card
cm18738/cd3x pci audiodevice
i know i need more ram and graphics its in the pipe line i think other people with far more specs than me have had the same problem .

i think i have internet explorer version 6 somthing but thanks anyway

yes i finally got it working i really dont know how just did another install the pain is over (for now ) . a big thank you to everybody for showing an interest .obviously its a bit jumpy due to my poor specs any suggestions to solve that for now regarding display setting and any suggestions for a graphics card at a reasonable price and do graphics cards increase the ram . cheers 😂 😀 😂 😂 Surprised 😀 😂 😂 Surprised 😀 Surprised 😂 Surprised 😀 😂 Surprised Surprised 😀 😀 😂 Surprised 😀 😂 Surprised 😀 😀 😂 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Good for you!
Now get more ram in it and then let us know how much you want to spend for a video card and if you have a AGP socket.

Radar

ok around £50 for a graphics card , yes i have got a AGP socket . where does ram go and is it exspensive . sorry for been a novice mate but i suspose you can only start from where you are . Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This site will tell you what type you need, you HAVE to get the same as you have now but bigger sticks, at least 1 gig in all.
http://www.crucial.com/ They do ship to the UK but you may be able to get it cheaper there.

This is the AGP card I have, a little more than you mentioned but check the prices in the UK.
ATi Radeon 128 Pro. Don't get the All in Wonder.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=704418/skd=1/search=128mb+ati+radeon

Radar

thanks alot mate for all your help .great stuff 🍻

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...