Help please ... on simply looking around!

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

I'm unfortunate enough not to have a coolie hat on my joystick. This means of course that I can't look around the 3D cockpit, rather my view will 'snap' to different views.

I do have however a Nostromo N50 Speedpad which has an 8-way control (like on a Nintendo controller) but this seems to be equivalent to key presses so again the view jumps.

Is it possible to map keys or the Speedpad to be the same as a hat?

Check out my post here for photos of the joystick and Speedpad I use;
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1585/game-controls/

Thanks,
Dave

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
leadZERO Trainee

In order to not snap to those different views you need to switch to the Virtual Cockpit view. In the normal cockpit view the hat-switch will always snap to a different view.

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Sorry - 3D=Virtual cockpit view - that's what I meant.

Again, my question;

I'm unfortunate enough not to have a coolie hat on my joystick. This means of course that I can't look around the VIRTUAL cockpit, rather my view will 'snap' to different views.

Is it possible to map keys or the Speedpad to be the same as a hat?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm not certain about using two devices, you probably can but many people don't have a joystick and have to use the keyboard. The links below should be printed out. They'll give you all the keystrokes that you need to do what you want.
Download this and print it out.

You can print this also, if you like.
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/7939/fs2004-keyboard-commands-table/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Thanks RM, though not really what I'm after. Looks like you can't do it unless you have a coolie hat 😞

D

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You can do anything with the keyboard that you can do with a high-hat (coolie hat). Just read the downloaded kneeboard.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

You can do anything with the keyboard that you can do with a high-hat (coolie hat). Just read the downloaded kneeboard.

Sorry for being a pain in the a$$, the pea under your matress if you will 🙂 but even after reading those linked files I really don't think you can emulate the hat with the keyboard (ie. looking around the virtual cockpit). Please, see if you can do it yourself, bet you can't.

Dave

Garren Guest

This may be of no use to you at all... but I thought I'd post it just in case.
I know someone who owns "ANTICYCLONE - ACTIVE CAMERA 2004" which gives the ability to make many camera views possible, including the Virtual Cockpit (a recommended product if you don't mind paying for it).
The way it works for Active Camera is that you use the mouse to look about the cockpit. You need a three button mouse, middle button being a scroll wheel for zooming in and out and also holding it down means moving the mouse, moves your view about the cockpit freely.
Anyway here's a link to it if you're at all interested http://secure.simmarket.com/product_info.php?products_id=557

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

It looks like the only way to look around the 3d cockpit without a coolie-hat on the joystick would be to buy the Active Camera product. I still think that there is no way to use the keys as a substitute for the coolie hat.

Dave

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

When the sim first launches your at the airport in the cockpit. Use the keypad (num lock on) and it will show you the cockpit, outside window views and you can also use "+ and -" to zoom in and out.
An example of the Howard 500 that I did.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1648/howard-500ready/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

RM, do you have a coolie-hat on your joystick?

If so, compare looking around the cockpit using your coolie hat to pressing the keys on the num-pad. You'll see that the coolie-hat lets you look smoothly around but the keypad 'jumps' to a view.

D.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes I have what I call a "high hat" and is also called a "coolie hat". To tell you the truth I find the keypad more manageable for cockpit views than the stick. But that could just be my taste, The stick I have I found to be excellent for FS9.
I have the MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Pro USB.
Outside of the "Hat" the only other way around this for you would be Active Camera and that would give you the added ability to "walk" around the cabin etc.
http://www.anticyclone.be/
I understand it's quite a nice addition, nope I don't have it and feel for myself that other add-on's are more desirable.
I'm now waiting for USA Roads to be on CD not just download.
We all have our likes and dislikes and I fully understand yours, I hope that you can find a happy solution.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...