Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Landing a Boeing 747

Nineball
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:54 pm 

After flying many hours in various Cessna planes, I have started moving to the big jets. I'm having lots of trouble landing a 747. Approaching Seattle from the north, I am at 5000 ft, 250 KIAS, about 20 miles from the runway. When I reduce the thrust to slow enough to lower the gear, I end up stalling and crashing. If I lower the nose to keep this from happening, the plane gains speed. I can't find the right setting for thrust.
99jolegg
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:01 pm 

As soon as you see your speed getting too fast / slow in any jet aircraft, but especially a 747, then you need to adjust your throttles straight away by making small adjustments. So if your speed is increasing from one to two to three etc knots more than you want to be at, then you can anticipate that it is going to carry on increasing, which is when you need to lower your throttle slightly but don't make drastic movements.

Wink
Click below to support FSF:
hinch
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:05 pm 

use autothrottle as they do in the real world.

at 250 you'll want 5-10deg flaps

at 150 you'll want 40 - full

just as a guideline Wink
CRJCapt
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:22 pm 

Boeing 747-400 Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004

Vref Landing Speeds

Weight-Lbs. Flaps 30 Speed-KIAS
880,000 188
837,000 182
794,000 176
751,000 170
708,000 164
665,000 159
622,000 153
579,000 147
536,000 141
493,000 135
450,000 129

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:53 pm 

Nineball wrote:
After flying many hours in various Cessna planes, I have started moving to the big jets. I'm having lots of trouble landing a 747. Approaching Seattle from the north, I am at 5000 ft, 250 KIAS, about 20 miles from the runway. When I reduce the thrust to slow enough to lower the gear, I end up stalling and crashing. If I lower the nose to keep this from happening, the plane gains speed. I can't find the right setting for thrust.

It takes a lot of practice really to hand fly these 747 approaches.

You look too high and too fast for my liking. (how much fuel onboard?)
at that distance I would be at around 3000 at the most.
I would not lower the gear until 8 to 10 miles out at about 170 knots

when you are establshed on the localizer get the first notch of flaps down.
from there at around 210 to 215 knots you will really have to play with airspeed using pitch and throttle to stay on the glide slope.

this is my way of doing it, not nessesarily anyone elses or technically correct.
Michael_H
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:00 pm 

forgot to login

"After flying many hours in various Cessna planes, I have started moving to the big jets. I'm having lots of trouble landing a 747. Approaching Seattle from the north, I am at 5000 ft, 250 KIAS, about 20 miles from the runway. When I reduce the thrust to slow enough to lower the gear, I end up stalling and crashing. If I lower the nose to keep this from happening, the plane gains speed. I can't find the right setting for thrust."

It takes a lot of practice really to hand fly these 747 approaches.

You look too high and too fast for my liking. (how much fuel onboard?)
at that distance I would be at around 3000 at the most.
I would not lower the gear until 8 to 10 miles out at about 170 knots

when you are establshed on the localizer get the first notch of flaps down.
from there at around 210 to 215 knots you will really have to play with airspeed using pitch and throttle to stay on the glide slope.

this is my way of doing it, not nessesarily anyone elses or technically correct.
Captin Calvo

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:12 am 

Hi im new to this web site but i fly the boeing 747-400 im a captin in british airways i fly international if you set your heading and if you are useing a gprs to land turn your gps switch on the plane will fly it self and land its self all you must to is keep your flaps at 30 gear down at 180kias
or you can turn on your auto pilot approch hold switch but the heading and settings must be perfect check the kneeboard as well that will help you through the landing
brownbox
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:00 am 

ahh i always knew there was a reason why i dont fly the heavy jets Shocked
Mc_GaNgStA
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:48 am 

This is the opposite for me. I can never land the Cessna perfectly in line, but the Boeing 747-400 I can land almost perfectly. This is what I do: I first reduce the speed to about 230 knots, when I have to "Maintain 3000 until established on the localizer....", then i put up once only the flap, then reduce and so forth. When I get to 180-190 knots I should have flaps already set on 30. Then when I see the vertical arrow dropping, I reduce the speed, according to the arrow (I advise using autothrottle as this helps keep it accurate), and try and keep in line with the runway (using small adjustments) and if the arrow goes above the horizontal line, i just raise the nose. If i realize i'm getting close to the runway but I'm high, I just reduce the speed by a few knots, maintaining my nose level, then I raise it to 5 or so, idling it about 10-15 feet from runway. It works good for me.
fo baker

Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:11 pm 

Captain my xxxx