Landing a Boeing 747

Pro Member Trainee
Nineball Trainee

After flying many hours in various Cessna planes, I have started moving to the big jets. I'm having lots of trouble landing a 747. Approaching Seattle from the north, I am at 5000 ft, 250 KIAS, about 20 miles from the runway. When I reduce the thrust to slow enough to lower the gear, I end up stalling and crashing. If I lower the nose to keep this from happening, the plane gains speed. I can't find the right setting for thrust.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

As soon as you see your speed getting too fast / slow in any jet aircraft, but especially a 747, then you need to adjust your throttles straight away by making small adjustments. So if your speed is increasing from one to two to three etc knots more than you want to be at, then you can anticipate that it is going to carry on increasing, which is when you need to lower your throttle slightly but don't make drastic movements.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

use autothrottle as they do in the real world.

at 250 you'll want 5-10deg flaps

at 150 you'll want 40 - full

just as a guideline Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Boeing 747-400 Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004

Vref Landing Speeds

Weight-Lbs. Flaps 30 Speed-KIAS
880,000 188
837,000 182
794,000 176
751,000 170
708,000 164
665,000 159
622,000 153
579,000 147
536,000 141
493,000 135
450,000 129

Nineball wrote:

After flying many hours in various Cessna planes, I have started moving to the big jets. I'm having lots of trouble landing a 747. Approaching Seattle from the north, I am at 5000 ft, 250 KIAS, about 20 miles from the runway. When I reduce the thrust to slow enough to lower the gear, I end up stalling and crashing. If I lower the nose to keep this from happening, the plane gains speed. I can't find the right setting for thrust.

It takes a lot of practice really to hand fly these 747 approaches.

You look too high and too fast for my liking. (how much fuel onboard?)
at that distance I would be at around 3000 at the most.
I would not lower the gear until 8 to 10 miles out at about 170 knots

when you are establshed on the localizer get the first notch of flaps down.
from there at around 210 to 215 knots you will really have to play with airspeed using pitch and throttle to stay on the glide slope.

this is my way of doing it, not nessesarily anyone elses or technically correct.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

forgot to login

"After flying many hours in various Cessna planes, I have started moving to the big jets. I'm having lots of trouble landing a 747. Approaching Seattle from the north, I am at 5000 ft, 250 KIAS, about 20 miles from the runway. When I reduce the thrust to slow enough to lower the gear, I end up stalling and crashing. If I lower the nose to keep this from happening, the plane gains speed. I can't find the right setting for thrust."

It takes a lot of practice really to hand fly these 747 approaches.

You look too high and too fast for my liking. (how much fuel onboard?)
at that distance I would be at around 3000 at the most.
I would not lower the gear until 8 to 10 miles out at about 170 knots

when you are establshed on the localizer get the first notch of flaps down.
from there at around 210 to 215 knots you will really have to play with airspeed using pitch and throttle to stay on the glide slope.

this is my way of doing it, not nessesarily anyone elses or technically correct.

Captin Calvo Guest

Hi im new to this web site but i fly the boeing 747-400 im a captin in british airways i fly international if you set your heading and if you are useing a gprs to land turn your gps switch on the plane will fly it self and land its self all you must to is keep your flaps at 30 gear down at 180kias
or you can turn on your auto pilot approch hold switch but the heading and settings must be perfect check the kneeboard as well that will help you through the landing

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

ahh i always knew there was a reason why i dont fly the heavy jets 😳

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

This is the opposite for me. I can never land the Cessna perfectly in line, but the Boeing 747-400 I can land almost perfectly. This is what I do: I first reduce the speed to about 230 knots, when I have to "Maintain 3000 until established on the localizer....", then i put up once only the flap, then reduce and so forth. When I get to 180-190 knots I should have flaps already set on 30. Then when I see the vertical arrow dropping, I reduce the speed, according to the arrow (I advise using autothrottle as this helps keep it accurate), and try and keep in line with the runway (using small adjustments) and if the arrow goes above the horizontal line, i just raise the nose. If i realize i'm getting close to the runway but I'm high, I just reduce the speed by a few knots, maintaining my nose level, then I raise it to 5ยบ or so, idling it about 10-15 feet from runway. It works good for me.

fo baker Guest

Captain my xxxx

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...