Slow A36

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

I have a question. I bought the Dreamfleet A36 about a month ago and have been having fun with it. The question is: Why is the aircraft often much slower than adertised? Right now it's flying down the California coast at 11,000 feet making 140 knots IAS. According to the performance charts in the manual it should be closer to 170. Throttle is wide open, propeller is set at 90% for ~2500 rpm, mixture is set at +20 degrees rich of peak or about 30%, gear is up, flaps are up, and cowl flap is closed. Actual ground speed according to GPS is 153 knots. So what am I missing here? Outside temp is -1C. It does seem to be closer to the advertised speeds at 3,000 to 5.000 feet. Oh yeah, I have full fuel and 440lbs of pilot and passenger.

Edit: Never mind. TAS is 167 which is right what it should be. Just messed up calculation of TAS from IAS.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

As I remember the A36 you need to keep you eye on engine temp and adjust the cowling to maintain around 390 degrees to get better preformance. I don't remember if I ever achived 170.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

its probably capable to reach that speed under certain surcumstances. and also check your fuel and payload weight and the weather those are all factors in this

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Have you tried pitching the prop back to 70-75%? That is the cruising configuration for most props. 90-100% are for take-off and landing, so you can get max RPM, not max speed.

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

NoWorries wrote:

Have you tried pitching the prop back to 70-75%? That is the cruising configuration for most props. 90-100% are for take-off and landing, so you can get max RPM, not max speed.

I would think 70% on the prop would be lugging the engine. Beechcraft's maximum recommended cruise power setting is for mixture set at 20 degrees rich of max temp and 2500 rpm. The 90% prop setting gives 2500 rpm. Like I said above the error was mine in going from IAS to TAS. The 153 knot ground speed must have been due to a headwind. When I restarted the sim groundspeed was 182 knots. Thanks.

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

Check this out, in the realistic settings, its says true airspeed and something else, put oon true airspeed. Because i had the same problems with other aircrafts. i.e i was flying b737 and the max speed was 360 kts, then i was amazed but whe i puted ot the true speed insteed of indidcaated speed, the max was 475/m.0.82 but ofcaurse i am always flying with my b738 delta and the speed is 465 kts, at high altitudes.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...