Landing and Overspeed

EVERY time I play flight sim I get two problems:

First is 'overspeed' I get this all the time and I am aware that I put full throttle on for take off but then to stop 'overspeed' coming up do you reduce the engine thrust using F3/F2? Doesn't this slow you down a bit?

My second problem is with landing. I know all about how to get in line with airport using ILS/GPS and can do that easily it is just where you are on final approach. When do you release the landing gear and when do you release the flaps to full or do you put them half or what?
Everytime I land I usually release the gear about 15-20 miles out and then when I am just about to touchdown I slam the flaps down and then the whole landing is crap because I do reverse thrust and this does NOT slow the aircraft down and even having finger down on brakes does nothing.

So how do I land using ILS and when do I release the gear, flaps and how do I slow down enough to actually taxi off the runway!

Cheers

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

1. You will have to reduce thrust after take off, so use F2, as the aircraft will rapidly advance to high speed. I believe there is also a speed limit under a certain altitude, but I cant really help you on that matter.

Don Wood Guest

In the US at least, aircraft may not exceed 250 knots under 10,000 feet unless otherwise cleared by ATC.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Everytime I land I usually release the gear about 15-20 miles out and then when I am just about to touchdown I slam the flaps down and then the whole landing is crap because I do reverse thrust and this does NOT slow the aircraft down and even having finger down on brakes does nothing.

Sorry, but none of that is wise to do.

1. I extend the landing gear when I'm on final approach. Works best for me

2. Flaps should be extended INCREMENTALLY as you approach the airport. If you took the introductory flight with Rod Machado, you would have learned that right away. Slamming the flaps down just before you land is never a good idea, you'll generate huge amounts of lift, and bad things will, as they have been, happen.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Landing: It's normal to extend the flaps in increments as you slow below the max speeds for each position of flap. At 5 miles you should be at about half flaps and aprox 170 kts. Extend the gear and chose the next flap position. You want to be at full flaps with airspeed at Vref( Aprox 140 kts for B737) by 500-1000 ft AGL (above ground level) All of this is aircraft dependent but it will give you a basic reference. In terms of the ILS. Begin approch with half flaps and 170 kts. When GS needle begins to come down to center, add the next position of flaps and allow acft to slow. When the GS needle is one dot above center or just above center, extend gear. As speed decreases, add full flaps and allow speed to decrease to Vref. Hold that untill crossing the end of the runway and reduce power to idle. You should land a little below Vref speed. Vref changes with weight. The correct speed can be found in the aircraft data. Most large jets can't land at their T/O weight. If you have not been in the air long, manually reduce your fuel load to ensure that you are below your Max Landing weight(MLW)

For Takeoff: Use max power untill 1000Ft. AGL. Then reduce power to aprox 80-90 percent of max and retract T/O flaps if used. Jets require flaps for T/O. Climb at 250 Kts in a jet untill 10,000ft. then climb at aprox 300 kts untill Mach meter reaches .70. Climb at .70M untill cruise altitude. At cruise altitude, reduce power to aprox 75 percent of max or if in a jet, to a cruise Mach speed of aprox .75-.80 mach. If not using a jet, it works a little different. You climb at Vy (best rate) or maybe a little faster, say +10 to 20 kts(Cruise climb). The indicated speed depends on Altitude. At 33,000Ft. you should see about 275-290kts indicated airspeed. This is about 460 kts true airspeed KTAS (through the air). Speed limit in the US is 250 kts below 10,000ft. 😀

sheac1141 Guest

what airplane to you use

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I use almost all of the aircraft within MSFS. I use the Boeing 737 much of the time. I also like the Piper Cub. I love all aircraft because each has something to offer. 😀

I am usually in 767s or the 777 that comes on the game but lets talk about the 777 as its on all FS2004.
How do I put the flaps to half or quarter on this because I press F8 once and the full flaps slam down and lift me up Mad

Thanks for the replies so far.

BashDaBish Guest

F5 : Retract flaps fully
F6 : Retract flaps in increments

F7 : Extend flaps in increments
F8 : Extend flaps fully

So use F7 to extend in increments

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...