Brakes Failed on this A/C

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Found this video: http://www.break.com/index/badplanebrakes.html

Any of you know when this might have happened?

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

7/1/2006 - On a rainy day a planes brakes fail and they skid off the end of a runway. Although, they crashed nobody on board was seriously injured.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Do I feel like an idiot. Should have read it, or looked at the red text on the bottom of the screen.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Oh yeah,I wanted to put the vid here.that was a road security camera.

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

I was on a flight about 2 years ago, i was returning to Phoenix from Atlanta on Delta. We came into Phoenix and flew north of the city, turned south on Base, and east on final. We landed on the new runway. it was clear and dry, and nighttime (Dark). They were working on the runway and had part of it closed off. We had a FEMALE throttle jockey doing the flying. We were late departing ATl due to weather. She was REALLY on the gas during approach, a really fast entry. We cam in a little hot as far as I was concerned, and she floated a bit down the runway, then managed to bounce tha plane once, and float it again. it was a 767. and once firmly on the runway, she hit FULL reversers and stood on the brakes. then she stood on the brakes hard, real hard. After a few seconds, she added what sounded and felt like emegancy reverse, and then she hit the brakes even harder-harder than I had ever felt in any "Normal landing" I had that "Oh Shit" thought go through my head as I had figured that another A/C must have pulled on the runway in front of us. Then I heard the tires SLIDE in full lock. Like a skidding car. Then we started to turn left, off came the reversers and brakes. I was on the right side window, and as we exited the runway, we were right at the GIANT RED lighted "X" denoting the closed portinon of the runway. PRETTY odd feeling to be inside a 767 with FULL Reverse and Locked up brakes.

I wated tioll I was last to be off, and as I exited the aircraft, the Captain was standing there. I said "You really locked those brakes up, did you misjudge the runway?" All I got was an ICE COLD GLARE!!!!

I got it all on video, but you cant really get a full grasp of what was going on by the tape.

Capt. Dennison

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Doesn't sound exciting it sounds harrowing.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

Yikes! What a video!

And to Dennison - Sounds like a very rare incident involving 100% pilot error. But keep in mind that other things could have come into play also. Pilots absolutely hate when passengers give them criticsms. Especially when they know they messed up lol 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

There have only been three times my "worry index" went up on a flight. The first was on a fully loaded SAS 747 in Copenhagen, when the pilot belatedly decided he just "had to" turn off the runway now, rather than wait for a more distant opportunity.

The second was in 1973 on an Aeroflot Tupolev when the literally executed a turn so sharp that I could see straight down to the buildings of Moscow State University...and I was sitting over the starboard wing.

The third was on a Southwest 737 at KPHX where the pilot put it down so hard that I was amazed any tires were left. The cabin crew tried to joke it wasn't the pilot's fault, not the copilot's fault, it was the asphalt. My response was tell the pilot to return his license to Sear Roebuck and get his money back.

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

The second was in 1973 on an Aeroflot Tupolev when the literally executed a turn so sharp that I could see straight down to the buildings of Moscow State University...and I was sitting over the starboard wing.

If you flew on Aeroflot you are lucky to be alive.

😎

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

If you flew on Aeroflot you are lucky to be alive.

..the old Aeroflot was a lot more "tin canny" to say the least. But their new image (that came with the new CEO) is much cleaner, safer, and more passenger friendly.

Actually, Aeroflot has become one of Europe's top airlines. And I think they have one of the nicest liveries out there

👍 😎

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Glad to hear it.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...