Landing speed 737

Pro Member Trainee
calum Trainee

High guys, I hope you can help. What speed should you be at as you touch down on the runway in a 737. I think I try and come in too slow and sometimes stall above the runway. Not good!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Go for 135 knots 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Anywhere between 125 and 135kts is good, depending on your weight 😉

Pro Member Trainee
calum Trainee

Thanks guys.

I must have been setting the throttles to idle too soon, because I had autthrottle at 150-160 knots until about 2-300 feet, and then almost idle
thereafter. I would think I was landing, but the plane would crash into the runway.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

No problem 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

calum wrote:

Thanks guys.

I must have been setting the throttles to idle too soon, because I had autthrottle at 150-160 knots until about 2-300 feet, and then almost idle
thereafter. I would think I was landing, but the plane would crash into the runway.

That is your problem then. Throttles should only be set to idle at around 20-50 feet above the runway. Try reducing your speed earlier so you only need around 50% N1 on approach.

😉

BB27 Guest

I generally set the autothrottle to 140 kts from 160 kts about 5 miles from the runway. It takes the aircraft a few miles to lose 20 kts of speed and stabilize at 140. I then disengage the autothrottle and manually adjust thrust to maintain the glideslope (no input from the yoke needed here, just more thrust to climb, less to descend). By using this method, I can power down or up without having to deal with the autothrottle. I also have a real good feel for the aircraft when landing and in calm conditions routinely ace my landings. Turbulent, windy, and IFR situations complicate the process a bit, but I still seem to get high marks from Fspax when landing.

I generally use the autopilot to within 1000 feet of the ground (100 feet or less for some ILS approaches), but turn the autothrottle off 4 to 5 miles out regardless of the conditions outside.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...