MD-80 Reverse Thrust Modifications

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Hello everyone. It's been a while!

The other nite i was tinkering around with the MD-80, and i messed with its thrust, now the reverse goes back to 95%!!!!!

It stops FAST. On a long runway, it can stop from 182KTS just fine!

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😳 It's amazing how much you can customize this Sim.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

HMMMMM! Maybe I should tinker with the 737's thrust reverse. It would be nice to be able to back away from the gate on my own. I know the MD80's and 83's do it regularly.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

leadfoot,
"Shift" + "P" (press a second time to stop it) and your aircraft will back up, you can press 1 or 2 to "steer" the craft.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Radarman. Virtually all the t-tail jets--- lears, cessna citation 10 esspecially, MD80s and 83s, 727s can back up on their own with thrust reverse alone. The MD80s series do it the most, and quite regularly I might add. It takes less time than waiting for a pushback tractor, and frees up ground crews in the process. Time is money in the airline bussiness.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Umm... Didn't know that, I thought that they all had to get a pushback, I guess the pilot doesn't have a "Shift and "P" key does he. 🙄
They probably didn't program that into the sim aircraft, maybe some designer has or would.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Umm... I thought that the FAA stopped all aircraft doing that because of the danger from debris being injested into the engine

🤔Was'nt the Air Florida crash caused by the pilots using r/thrust to free itself from snow?

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

The t-tail set ups are not as prone to debri ingestion due to the their engines being mounted relativly high on the fuesalage. The 737 pilots really have to sweat it though, look at where their engines are mounted. Practically on the GROUND for Gods sake. Real vacuum sweepers. The airlines are the ones who get stinky around the edges about ingestion damage on low slung setups like the 737s, 777s, etc. It is more of a maintainance issue with the airlines than a safety issue with the FAA.

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

I had read somewhere that there was a significant risk, with most aircraft, of having the plane topple over on its tail, nose in the air, when you apply the brakes following self-powered pushback.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

What the pilots do after pullback is to stow the reverse buckets and let the forward thrust stop the plane. They usually don't go more than 5mph in reverse anyway, so tipping back is not a problem. If an airliner were to tip back doing this procedure I would not let the plane leave the ground for it would have to be loaded out C.G. limits anyway. The rear gear is set behind the center of lift. If it tipped back on the ground, it would surely go nose up and stall immediatly after liftoff and kill everyone, not unlike a King Air C1900 did recently. I forget where it happened.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...