Commericial Lesson 2- Short field takeoffs/landings Help

Guest Guest

Basically, the lesson is easy for me until I get up to when I turn to base leg and have to descend from 3500 ft. to about 1800 ft. at 110 knots. Then you turn to final maintaining 97 knots (between 95 and 101), all the while trying to land at Cashmere airport with this big old mountain right in front blocking your path! And if I go over the mountain the angle for landing seems WAYY too steep for a normal landing, making it virtually impossible to keep that speedometer between 95 and 101. And the clincher, you can't mess up ONCE throughout the whole lesson otherwise they say that it was a good effort but you need more practice.

I was wondering if anyone who passed this lesson "successfully" could help me out or could give their opinion.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Ha ha, thats the thing of SHORTFIELD landings. You have to descend in a way that you are a little bit over the mountain, enough to avoid striking it, but also, work the throttle so that you keep your speed at what Rod wants. If you think that was hard, wait till you have fun with the ATP rating.

Guest wrote:

Basically, the lesson is easy for me until I get up to when I turn to base leg and have to descend from 3500 ft. to about 1800 ft. at 110 knots. Then you turn to final maintaining 97 knots (between 95 and 101), all the while trying to land at Cashmere airport with this big old mountain right in front blocking your path! And if I go over the mountain the angle for landing seems WAYY too steep for a normal landing, making it virtually impossible to keep that speedometer between 95 and 101. And the clincher, you can't mess up ONCE throughout the whole lesson otherwise they say that it was a good effort but you need more practice.

I was wondering if anyone who passed this lesson "successfully" could help me out or could give their opinion.

😀

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

What are you flying?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

um...its defaulted to the lesson, a Beechcraft Baron 58

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

If I pull the throttles back to idle I can descend around 1800-2000fpm. that's with the gear and full flaps hangin' out. One thing I would recommend for short field practice; take the baron or cessna out, climb to 5-6000', the set up landing config and practice slow flight, and practice maintaining 5-700fpm descent at the slowest speed possible with decending any faster that the afore mentioned rate, 500fpm for the cessna's 650fpm in the baron. It is a good way to get good short field landings.

Try a forward slip and this will get you down and reduce to around 95 kts .. I am a multi in the real world and fly A320 ..

amihearingthis Guest

😳 so you are suggesting to slip or crab the aircraft at low altitude, and at low speed???????????????????????????????????and a forward one?????
with full flaps, extended landing gears????????????? 😳
the only thing that will result in is a flat spin 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

amihearingthis wrote:

😳 so you are suggesting to slip or crab the aircraft at low altitude, and at low speed???????????????????????????????????and a forward one?????
with full flaps, extended landing gears????????????? 😳
the only thing that will result in is a flat spin 😳

You're 3 years too late! 😉

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

FEM !!!!!! welcome back, didnt see you for long time !

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

tiger7881 wrote:

FEM !!!!!! welcome back, didnt see you for long time !

Hate to burst your bubble but his reply was back in 2004.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...