Help me land!!

M15 Guest

Hi all,

I have FS2004 installed over here. I decided to take all the flying lessons. But I have a problem with the landing lesson.

I descent with a speed of 75 knots and 10 degrees of flaps, exactly like they tell you to do in the lesson. I pull back the joystick a little when I am 10 feet above the ground to start the flare and at the same time I pull back the throttle all the way to idle.

But I must be doing something wrong, because I start to rise again just above the runway ALL THE TIME!! So what I do is push the joystick a little forward again to descent a little and then I try flaring again, and then it usually works.

But what am I doing wrong? If I understand the lesson well, I am doing everything exactly like they tell me to. Am I descending too fast? Should I pull the throttle to idle before I even start to flare? Am I pulling too hard on the joystick?

Any feedback appreciated!!

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
M15 Guest

Thanks for that...but I must admit I don't really understand most of it.
I must admit I am an absolute beginner at all this!

Is there anything available for beginners that will explain my question?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Jamie4590 Guest

Your throttle should be around 40% when your wheels touch down at which point you pull back to reverse thrust. If your throttle is less than that you risk a high sink rate or stall.

Guest Ed Guest

Jamie4590 wrote:

Your throttle should be around 40% when your wheels touch down at which point you pull back to reverse thrust. If your throttle is less than that you risk a high sink rate or stall.

Jamie, I'm guessing that if M15 is landing at 75 knots, he's not in a plane that has reverse thrust, and he probably doesn't have an N1 display to tell him he's at 40% thrust-- probably he's in a Cessna 172?

M15, it sounds like you're flaring a little too soon. Pull back the throttle when you cross the runway threshold, but don't flare until you're closer to the ground. And don't pull the nose up so much.

Landing is the most difficult part of sim flying; lots of practice will help. Save a flight where you're on the downwind at pattern altitude, and do the landing again and again, until you can nail it every time.

Ed

M15 Guest

Thanks!! I'll try those tips!
Sorry for not mentioning, but indeed I am flying a Cessna 172 and I did the 'student pilot lessons' in FS2004.

CRJCapt, thanks for that link, very usefull!!

Jamie4590 Guest

Guest Ed, Ok my bad but I'm sure the principle works roughly the same in a prop and jet engine aircraft. It can be tempting to close the throttle too early which has caused me to come crashing down on many occasions 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...