Watercooling

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Does anyone have watercooling or has had it? I just want to know how good it compares to good old fans?

BTW wouldn't you be kinda scared of having water run through your precious computer? \o/

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

I'm thinking of getting it in the next couple of months. You can reduce the heat by upto 30-40%. Have a look at the latest Micro Mart magazine from WH Smiths. There's a bit about water cooling in there.

Also with water cooling yuo will be able to overclock your CPU & VGA CPU quite abit compared to air cooling.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The only thing I worry about is how does it hold up for 3 or even 5 years. One leak and your toast.

I know it superior not only for cooling but it's silent.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I love to hear Fans sound 😀 😉

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well my latest board, ASUS dual-core 939, has passive cooling, it's very good, the fans are controlled and unless the cpu is violently busy, the fans can hardly be heard. The board has a small finned radiator style heat disperser, coupled via heat transfer piping to the bridges, and this rad is placed right in the main air flow, and it makes a great improvement.

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Water cooling obviously works, but it is not something that I'd be at mind's rest with, as RM say's, one leak and it's toast, I'll stick with the fans. 😉

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

i have known of someone whos watercooling pump failed. Their CPU automatic turn off when it gets too hot also seemed to have failed, causing the computer to have a meltdown while the owner wasnt there!
(wonder if that made sense 🙄 )

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

My old Apple Power Mac G5 dual 2.5 came as standard with Water cooling, it worked flawlessly for about 2 years - one day I went to turn the machine on and nothing... checked the power cable only to find a pool of cooling liquid on the floor. It's pretty corrosive stuff, it started eating into the case.

Apple replaced my old G5 with the new Quad 2.5; thankfully I took out the extended "Apple Care Protection plan" when I purchased. Apparently, I was the first case in the UK with this problem 🙄

Even my new machine comes with the message, "In case of liquid, turn off immediatley" or something similar.

Is it worth me taking a few pictures?

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

If possible Flyaway. That would be great

Pro Member Site Admin

Pics of Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5:

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

flyaway wrote:

I see a pool of liquid coming out of my computer, but when i unplug it the manual doesn't say what to do.

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Apple sent you £1700 of kit! Nice. How good is it anyway? Work well?

Pro Member Site Admin

cheechm wrote:

Apple sent you £1700 of kit! Nice. How good is it anyway? Work well?

I'm afraid I paid quit a bit more than that for it 🙄

It's a great machine, perfect for video/photo editing and CPU intensive tasks. Generally very fast all round. It also runs Mac OS X - an operating system based on BSD, which I'm very familiar with.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Off Topic! Nice wooden floor... 😂

Pro Member Site Admin

Greekman72 wrote:

Off Topic! Nice wooden floor... 😂

Thank you Greekman.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...