progression from Cessna

CaptainKW Guest

What can i assume as my general progression from my little Cessna? obviously soon im gona need more of a challenge, like i bigger aircraft, once i master these approaches coz i feel my general flying habits are alot better.

I can finally, pretty much, navigate my way around with IFR so that much is sorted. Once i have approahes sorted out, which isnt going to be long thanx to u guys, i say about another 2 or 3 flights. Im gona wana move onto bigger things. M

My ultimate goal is jetliners such as 777, 747 etc. what wud be a general progression onto something a bit bigger, possibly still prop, that isnt going to scare the pants off me like the Leajet did?? one thing i noticed is the speed difference, OBVIOUSLY, jetliners kick butt compared to prop planes and just going down the runway i noticed how different it is in a jetliner like a Leajet!

I was thinking, and i do apologise for my complete lack of knowledge on aircraft! but i was thinking something like those planes with the wings on the top of the fusilage and a prop either side...sorry i dont know the name.

I work up in Canary Wharf and i see them landing at London City all the time! today is a particulaly horrid day in the London in the UK, cloudy and rainy, bit windy too. and i have to say i have complete admiration for the pilots coz the approach to London City takes them so close the the Canary Wharf tower u can read the tail numbers!! unbelievable! why they wud put an airport next to such a hire rise built up area i dont know but its amazing to see them come in and touch down!

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Matt (airbourne) First Officer

okk

spuddi Guest

I think that the ones you are seeing at london city are likely to be ATP's.

I would say the next progression for you would be the beechcraft.
first do the baron, it's a small twin engine (6-😎seats.
Then once your happy with that then go on to the kingair.
From the kingair I would maybe give the 737 a try.
The learjet is a little jumpy, i find the 737 easier to fly than the learjet.
I would stay in the 737 for quite a while, maybe practising circuits and bumps on an airfield with a long runway, using large/high cuircuits.
I.E take off from somewhere like Heathrow climb to 3000ft turn left to heading 180deg try to kepp your speed at about 200knts fly for 1minute at that heading turn left to heading 90deg. look over your left side and you should see the airport go past. once you pass the far end of the runway count 3mintues then turn left to 000deg count 1minute and then turn left to 270.
If your turns have been the same rate of turn you should ne be roughly lined up with the runway and you should be able to procatise your landings. once you land and start to slow hit full thottle and take off again. and repeat.
Obviously you could practice cuircuits in the other aircraft also for practice.
Also it would be truly unrealistic for you to be doing circuits at heathrow, but hey its a sim after all. if you want somewhere more realistic try farnborough, but be aware that the runway headings are different so you will need to adjust your headings to account.

CaptainKW Guest

do i have to download these beechcraft or are they default in FS04 i dont think i remember seeing any?! if so is there any freeware i can get these craft from?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

As people said: Go to a small twin like the Baron and get acquainted with the extra power (and the extra engine). Then, you could probably go to a jet and I would suggest the 737. Sure, it's not the smallest one out there, but it's a *very* forgiving aircraft. The Lear on the other hand is a little b*tch 😂

Jamie4590 Guest

The Beechjet 400A on Flight Unlimited III is widely regarded as the best small jet model.

Guest Ed Guest

CaptainKW wrote:

do i have to download these beechcraft or are they default in FS04 i dont think i remember seeing any?! if so is there any freeware i can get these craft from?

You can download these as freeware if you want, but both the Baron and the KingAir are default aircraft in FS04. I think that flying the KingAir would be excellent experience before tackling jets; it is a turboprop, so the instruments and performance are similar to a small jet.

On the other hand, I never enjoyed the Baron that much. For one thing, it's lousy for sight-seeing because of those giant engine housings.

And I think that the Lear is much easier to fly than a 737. Just my opinion, but I find the Lear easier to fly than some of the prop planes, primarily because it has an autothrottle. In a jet, controlling the speed is a major concern; it's easy to get an overspeed warning, or to stall if you slow down too much. It's a good way to control all that excess power.

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ed,
He can always use the Howard or the default DC-3, it may be ancient but very "flyable".

http://www.flightsimonline.com/ Howard.
Radar

Guest Ed Guest

RadarMan wrote:

Ed,
He can always use the Howard or the default DC-3, it may be ancient but very "flyable".

Radar

RadarMan,

I agree that the default DC-3 is quite flyable, and very easy to handle and land for a passenger aircraft. Taxiing that beast is another matter. 😳 I did the Reeves Aleutian Airways flights in that; the flying was fun, but I got in the habit of starting each flight on the active runway, and ending there too. I'm sure the passengers didn't mind the extra walk to and from the terminals! 😂

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Guest Ed wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Ed,

Radar

RadarMan,

I agree that the default DC-3 is quite flyable, and very easy to handle and land for a passenger aircraft. Taxiing that beast is another matter. 😳 I did the Reeves Aleutian Airways flights in that; the flying was fun, but I got in the habit of starting each flight on the active runway, and ending there too. I'm sure the passengers didn't mind the extra walk to and from the terminals! 😂

Ed

Ed,
I fly the DC-3 quite a bit, taxi with the tailwheel unlocked (Shift+G) and full flaps.
I always do it the way and never have a problem.
The chickens in the cargo bay love it.

Radar

smithcorp Guest

I'd suggest going to the more sophisticated singles, like the Caravan next. It's got some challenges.

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor First Officer

i agree with smithcorp

Guest Ed Guest

smithcorp wrote:

I'd suggest going to the more sophisticated singles, like the Caravan next. It's got some challenges.

Yes, I've done some long tours in the Caravan Amphibious, and that was a lot of fun. I did a trip down the length of the Mississippi River in which I programmed engine and electrical failures to happen about every 30 minutes. I got a lot of practice in making unplanned water landings. You have GOT to watch out for those bridges, by the way. 😳

And the land-based Caravan is a lot of fun, too. That's a real workhorse, with a lot of range and respectable speed for a single-engine job (it is also a turboprop). And it's got enough power to fly loops and rolls, too! 😂

RadarMan, try that and see what your chickens have to say! 😂 😂

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Guest Ed wrote:

smithcorp wrote:

Ed

😁 As long as they lay eggs I'm happy!

Radar

Guest Ed Guest

RadarMan wrote:

Guest Ed wrote:

smithcorp wrote:

Ed

Radar

RadarMan,

I just got this image in my head of you flying a decrepit-looking old DC-3, wearing a leather flight helmet and goggles, cigar stub chomped between gritted teeth, with chickens cackling and feathers swirling around the cockpit. 😉 😂

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Guest Ed wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Guest Ed wrote:

smithcorp wrote:

Ed

Radar

RadarMan,

I just got this image in my head of you flying a decrepit-looking old DC-3, wearing a leather flight helmet and goggles, cigar stub chomped between gritted teeth, with chickens cackling and feathers swirling around the cockpit. 😉 😂

Ed

Ed,
Don't forget the white scarf blowing in the wind! (Those day's must have been"grand")!

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Finally we show a pic of RadarMan 😉 ...Thanks for sharing ❗ 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

my next step after a cessna was the default mooney. its got some more challenges like spped brakes higher cruise speed, cowl flaps, but its not a twin.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...