Emergency landing on water

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello! I have only two questions: can I do an emergency landing on water?
How can I do that?
I tried to make one, but the planes just bounced when I landed. And I didn't landed too hard.
If someone knows how to do that emergency landing, please tell me.

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hi Agus,

The planes are bouncing on the water because of a SETTING that you need to change.... If you go into the REALISM page within SETTINGS, you need to click on the box on the right hand side to "Allow Aircraft crashes".....

I know you don't want to crash (!!), but by changing this, your Aircraft will never bounce again - it will either crash and burn - or if you perform your emergency landing well, it will land...

One thing though - not many planes (other than Amphibians) can land on Water without crashing or breaking up and this is certainly the case within FS2004...

But if you change the settings as above, you're aircraft will not bounce at all (unless you go down at a really slow speed in a very light plane)... so things will be more realistic.

I cut the engines in a Cessna 172 at 5500feet the other day and gently took the plane all the way down into a field in Scotland.... landed successfully without crashing... other times it's gone wrong and I've crashed and burned the plane.... You need to carefully manage your descent and bring Flaps in appropriately twards touchdown...

Obviously the real challenge is putting down a bigger craft, or a Jet with no engines... I once landed the Learjet after cutting engines at 2500 feet, but I was lucky - the field I came down in was angled heavily which helped lighten the touchdown !

Good luck - If you want to do an emergeny landing on Water, cut the engines in the Cessna Amphibian at 5500 feet and see if you can come in without smashing the floats off, and without obtaining a bad headache !

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thank you, GPS-Kid for your advice.
I tried to do an emergency landing on water with an Airbus 330 but I couldn't do it. I need more practice on that.
I always wanted to change that setteing -Allow Aircraft crashes- but always I forgot to change it. Now', I'm going to change it and that's it. Problem's over.

Thank you. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Just to let you know, so you do not work too hard, your aircraft, unless they have floats, will ALWAYS crash when you hit water. It's because FS04 doesnt have it programmed for crash/emergency landings. But you can pretend that you did it right, after you "crash land" in the water, make an announcement to the passengers, then, if you have stairs in your house, slide down them and when you hit the bottom, pretend you are in the water and flail around untill your mom/girlfriend/wife/kid picks you up off the ground and says "good landing captain"

Pro Member Chief Captain

That was funny, Fire_Emblem_Master 🙂)
I tried it, but again I had no success. This time I was descending in a very low speed, because I wanted to see what happen if I go very low and land, and the plane started to descend quickly, and I couldn't control it. The passengers were shouting. One of them opened the cockpit door and told me to save his life. In that moment I heard a weird noise. The flight crew opened the main door and they jumped to the water. I keep trying to control the plane, but the passenger in the cockpit got nervous and crazy and he grabbed his gun, and....well, you know.
Finally, the plane hitted the water and all the passenger aboard survived. I called the rescue team to go get us.
Then I woke up and I realized that I was in my swimming pool.

Pro Member Chief Captain

hahaha! awesome. I tell u, the weirdest dreams ever are when your job mixes with your obsession with aircraft and flying.

Here goes:

I work at a McDonalds right, so, one especially long and tiring night goes by. I go to bed, and have this dream:

McDonalds bought a 727, and made it into a flying restaraunt. I'm not only the pilot, i'm the mantinence guy for the plane. One day, i'm on my way to the aircraft to examine it before a flight, and these 2 asian guys come up behind me. They are both eating a Caramel Apple. I head outside to the plane, they follow me. I get in after doing a preflight. They are standing outside of it below me. I try to start the middle top engine. Nothing, just makes a funny noise.

I get out, get on a ladder, and get close to the engine. I lean down to see if theres something in, its dark, so i crawl into the engine to see if i can find it. I cant see, so i stick my head out and ask one of the guys if they can throw me a light.

Thats all I remember, BUT, i was at my friends house that night, and he says that when he got up to turn on his fan he heard me say "Hey, throw me a light...what, you CANT throw me a light...you bastids!"

Weird huh.

Pro Member Chief Captain

What did you tell to your frinds about your dream?
I liked your dream. If I can remeber, I never had a dream like that. But I can feel that it's coming 😕 .
What are those asian guys doing in your dream? Maybe they are terrorist or something, lol. Be careful when are going to have the next part of the dream. You have to be careful with the asian guys. What if they throw you a dynamite supposing that the dynamite is a light?
I think we are having too much obsesion with aircraft and flying.

Pro Member Trainee
Timothy (Moab) Trainee

I just got this tonite I think it makes FS2004 better and fun .)
some cool FX stuff , I tried to land in the water tonite with the addon and my planes was in 100 parts and on fire lol heres the link its here on flyaway for DL
SW the full software is us$9.99
cool stuff .)
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads.html

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

I have this one Learjet type aircraft that can emergency land in water. I'll look for the website where I got it and I'll let you know 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

What if you cut fuel supply and shut down ?
I cant see how you can keep flying without engines unless you are using the glider ?

Pro Member Chief Captain

lol, CDR, no aircraft "flies" without engines, they all glide, it just depends on the glide ratio of the selected aircraft. I believe the glider is FS04 has a rate of 24 to 1, which means for every 1,000 feet the aircraft goes down, it glides 24 miles...i THINK, but i'm not sure cause i usually dont glide, mainly because i dont like the eerie quiet you get.

That was funny though 😛

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

Emergency landings on water are pretty-much a fuselage-opening & twisting event. I.e. it's worse than a belly landing on land.

I think MS in their wisdom didn't allow for the complicated animation graphics this would require, and just called it a "crash" which is what most under-slung jetliners making a water landing will be.

I love those romantic little pics on the safety cards that show a 747 peacefully floating with all the slides attached... And the seat cushion may be used as a flotation device. I wonder how many ever have been? Crying or Very sad Maybe the overruns, ok I'm wrong, but can't hit backspace...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...