Approach Problem

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Hi,

I was on a flight from LKVG to EIDW and all was going well until the ILS approach came with the GS etc..Now first of all I am not an expert at this ILS stuff..and i have only just learnt how to do it. My autopilot set me up heading - RWY 28 of Dublin Intl..and I waited for my Legacy to follow the glideslope..but no..my aircraft simply flew over the runway at my current altitidue at that time of approximately 2500 feet. Now my curious question..why did this happen and what did I do wrong???!

Was I too high..I was at about 2500 feet from Dublin Intl with 5nm to go...at this time I also engaged the Approach button...or it might have been at about 4nm...should I have engaged this earlier in order for the Legacy to follow the GS and capture the localiser etc..?

Any help is greatly appreciated 😉

Thanks guys. 🙂

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Make sure you always intercept the glideslope from below, otherwise APP will just follow the localizer. And make sure you have altitude hold off.

TOP COP Guest

Half right, leave ALT hold on with APR mode selected. You should have APR mode selected well before you intercept the GS(10 miles).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

APR should hold the current altitude. At least on most. I'm trying to remember the Legacy though.

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

At approx 10-15 nm from the airport when the ILS diamonds move, engage the APPR and have the altitude hold.Once the localiser is intercepted, it goes on to intercept the glideslope once it starts moving on your screen.Once it capture the GS it automatically disengages the ALT Hold and you should be coming down...Hitting the APPR button at just 4 nm doesn't seem logical as you are very near the airport and it would be capturing the glideslope from above which is not very good...

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Rule of the thumb is: At 10nm out, be about 3000 ft AGL and 30-40 degrees from the ILS track. The rest (about how to use the autopilot) as mentioned above.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...