Computer ad from 1989

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Checkout the specs. "Our most powerful computer ever!".

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Lightning fast 20mhz!!!I want it! What a bargain!Only 8499$!!!My dream pc for fsx! 😂 Great find CRJ, Thanks for that!

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

ahh yes, the good old days of dos...

but just think-
year 2020.
"Haha, remember those fools in 2006, using their $10000 dual core pentium 4 with 3Ghz! They shouldve just brought a quad core pentium 14 with Mega Hyper Technology and 21Ghz."

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Does it run FSX? 🍅

Guest Ed Guest

CRJCapt, where did you get that ad?

Something about it makes me suspicious that it isn't what it seems-- $8499 sounds very high for a computer without a monitor at that time, especially a Tandy (Radio Shack). IBM PC's had been on the market for several years in '89, and several other makers were in the market, so I wouldn't expect a "cheap" IBM-compatible like Tandy to cost that much.

And the dollar sign doesn't actually appear, which would be very unusual in a US publication. Maybe it was pesos or lyra or something. Could it be an English-language publication in another country?

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Guest Ed wrote:

CRJCapt, where did you get that ad?

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/avl/pics.html

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Does it run FSX? 🍅

No DVD-ROM support. 😞

murjax Guest

I don't think it costs much now. 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ed is right,
IBM sold machines in 82 when I bought my first Vic.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

This is a Commodore 64. I actually have one of these in my garage, somewhere. I even have a modem for BBS. 🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

Last edited by CRJCapt on Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Makes you think 🙄

Guest Ed Guest

Yeah, I spent some time googling for 1989 computer prices. The most expensive machines I could find in 1989 prices were Apple Machintosh II's, and they were only ~$6500 including a monitor.

When the IBM PC came out in 1982, the base model sold for $1600. I can't believe any Tandy ever made cost more than any IBM.

According to this Wikipedia article, a Compaq 286 sold for $2000 in 1985, and Compaqs have always been a bit more "upscale" than anything sold by Radio Shack:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq#Deskpro_386

I found another article from 1992 that quoted Pentium II models as going for around $2200.

Computer prices have always been about the same; a decent mid-level desktop for business would cost you ~$2000 now (not a high-end gaming machine, obviously), but of course you'd get a somewhat more powerful machine than 20+ years ago. 🙄

I don't believe Tandys were ever that expensive; I think someone doctored the price in that ad. That price is WAY out of line.

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I agree Ed. 🙂

Guest Ed Guest

CRJCapt wrote:

I agree Ed. 🙂

I'm glad to hear it. I thought you MIGHT be offended by my critique of your post. 😉

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Nice. I remember my father bought an Apple IIc for the family in 1985 for about $3,000!!

Appleworks came with it, a primitive operating system. And, of course, he also bought MS-FS for me, as he knew I loved airplanes. All those departures from Miegs Field in glorious monochrome green!!!

😎

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...