turning on taxiways

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

pokey1694 wrote:

how do you know which way to turn on a taxiway for example..

taxi to rwy 32R using B B1 G H TY Y5

how do you know wich way to turn on B1 G H TY Y5

Why don't you Turn on and follow the Progressive Taxi line(Yellow arrows in FSX).Its the choice #3 after you ask for Permission to Taxi.

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Guest Ed Guest
Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

also there would be taxiway sign pointing you you which taxiways are what.

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

if you were taxiing then you would know the general direction the active runway is. then you would turn that way

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

pokey1694 wrote:

i no that there would be taxiway signs but they point in both directions..

does ATC ever say something like "turn left on B1 right on G right on H left on TY" ?

No. You find out the way you need to turn by the following taxiway. The following taxiway in the clearence will only be at the airport once, so the taxiway you must be on, will lead to it, so you know to turn left / right.

You can only do that if you have the airport diagram.

Use the utility posted in this thread:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/22820/find-my-way-around-airport/

😉

Pro Member Trainee
omgttfs Trainee

pokey1694 wrote:

i no but in real life you dont have a progressive taxi

lol, in real life you're not a pilot.

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

I've always tried to figure a way to know where to taxi without using the progressive taxi.... using top down to get a view of the whole airport.... zooming in on taxiway signs... and just using general logic about where the terminal is relative to landing and where the departing RW is relative to starting position. I've also tried to see if there is a general system for naming taxiways. But I don't think there is outside of each individual airport. And for individual airports the system seems to make sense for some and not as much for other. Would love to hear more insight on this from others.

Right now I'm downloading the chart viewer. That should make it all pretty easy and more realistic. Thanks for that tip.

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

ANSWEAR Listen up people!!!!

Any way, sorry with capitals but i said that in other topic, when they say u taxi to rwy 32 via taxiway B B G H J, lets say. you go to ur heading indicator and look at the heading of 320, when u c th eheading imagine urself where to turn for the rwy, then use taxiway B then if there is a turn to B turn then G, H, J, turn and folow the letter on the taxiway. its that simple i use it in fs2004, when taxiwaying i dont use the purple line. I learned that inn my flying school, so its might help.

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

Sometimes FS gives wacky taxi instructions. At LAX I got a taxi to gate instr. that read roughly "A C C5 C9 C13 F G D4 D7 G H IJKLMNOPQRSUVWXYZ" ( !!)

Yeah! Like anybody's gonna remember that!

If it's a simple question of which direction to start taxiing--use the progressive taxi until you understand where you're being directed to and some signs come in to view. Consider it the FS equivalent of ASKING which way you should start going.

Pro Member First Officer

I've started getting the hang of it using the logic mentioned by Tiger7881... which is good for takiing for takeoff. However, there is a bit of more problem when landing. You exit runway at the first chance you get and then contact ground for instructions. There have been a number of times when I've looked around, and used virtual binocs to see the taxiway letters that I just can't figure out where to go. Then I finally give in and turn on the progressive taxi... and nothing happens.... until I look straight back to see that I've got to taxi back across the runway that I landed on.

Question: In real life are you given instructions by ATC which way to exit a runway? I know in many cases you can get an idea by looking around the airport on you way in... if you have time.

Another taxiing frustration is when I land and want to refuel before going to parking. I usually spot the refueling station easily enough but occassionally I have a heck of a time finding it. It would be nice if you could ask ground for instructions for fuel, gates, or parking.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

SpiderWings wrote:

I've started getting the hang of it using the logic mentioned by Tiger7881... which is good for takiing for takeoff. However, there is a bit of more problem when landing. You exit runway at the first chance you get and then contact ground for instructions. There have been a number of times when I've looked around, and used virtual binocs to see the taxiway letters that I just can't figure out where to go. Then I finally give in and turn on the progressive taxi... and nothing happens.... until I look straight back to see that I've got to taxi back across the runway that I landed on.

Question: In real life are you given instructions by ATC which way to exit a runway? I know in many cases you can get an idea by looking around the airport on you way in... if you have time.

Another taxiing frustration is when I land and want to refuel before going to parking. I usually spot the refueling station easily enough but occassionally I have a heck of a time finding it. It would be nice if you could ask ground for instructions for fuel, gates, or parking.

Most airports (which aren't the huge international airports) have a main area, where the parking area is. Pilots will have a ground chart of the airport so will see where they should be going, and where they can request to go when calling Ground.

Sometimes, on larger runways, when you land and are braking to slow down, Tower will tell you to turn next taxiway (they may stipulate left / right) and might use its name (Delta / Bravo etc etc). As soon as every inch of your aircraft is across the quadruple lined mark (2 dashed, 2 full lines) found on most taxiways leading to the runway, you call Ground and you will be given taxi clearence via certain taxiways to your desired destination. Its always best to write it down as they say it and refer to your ground charts - you're less likely to make a mistake. Larger airports have complicated taxiways and ATC really do go hysterical at you if you penetrate a hold short or go somewhere you really shouldn't be.

I won't land anywhere with a complex taxi system without my ground chart in hand with an idea in my head of where I should be directed.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks 99jolegg!

Don Wood Guest

In real life, you can also ask ground control for taxi guidance when you are on an unfamiliar airport. That will also cue the ground controller in the tower to pay closer attention to you as you taxi to make sure you don't inadvertantly violate your clearance.

Pro Member First Officer

Don Wood wrote:

In real life, you can also ask ground control for taxi guidance when you are on an unfamiliar airport. That will also cue the ground controller in the tower to pay closer attention to you as you taxi to make sure you don't inadvertantly violate your clearance.

Thats pretty nice of them. This reminds me of a great flight sim experience I had a year or so ago. I'm on dialup so I've only done multi-player flying a couple of times. But on this occassion, I connected up with a US Airforceman who was a flight controller in real life at McGuire AFB in New Jersey, and another pilot. The Airman had the ATC software (at the time I was blown away that he could do it) and directed the other pilot and I on a flight from New York City to Philadelphia using another software that he clue us into called TeamSpeak. That made it so we could talk by voice to one another while flying by simply pushing down a key on the keboard and talking into our microphone. It was pretty cool.

But what this topic reminded me of from that experience was that he could even do Ground Control and knew exactly where we were at the airport and how fast we were going. He told the other guy to slow it down a couple of times. And he told me how to taxi to fuel.

It was a lot of fun. I'll bet it is fascinating in real life as well.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

That's a good story SpiderWings.

Pokey1694- be nice, you don't have to read it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

👍

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

pokey1694 wrote:

pokey1694 wrote:

yeah shut up no one cares about your stupid stories

im not trying to sound like hyepilot but that was my friend and now i will change my password so he cant log on!!!!!

sorry spiderwings

Never Ever give your passwords to any body dear...You never know when they get misused...

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

pokey1694 wrote:

to_coolguys wrote:

dear

may i ask why you said dear 😉 😉 😳 😳

The word just adds warmth to the conversation....

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...