Pulsating Visual Approach Slope Indicator (PVASI)

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The PVASI is a rare approach lighting aid that has been replaced at many airports. Houston West airport (KIWS) still has one on runway 15, it's interesting to use on a dark night. It's in FS, try it.🙂

Last edited by CRJCapt on Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Any idea of how many there are...is this a US thing? Having flown in the UK and US I have not seen one...or even heard of one during ground school. Very interesting.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

PH wrote:

Any idea of how many there are...is this a US thing? Having flown in the UK and US I have not seen one...or even heard of one during ground school. Very interesting.

Not sure how many are left and I think it's only in the US. They were replaced by the PAPI. I think the story was that they were easily confused with other airport and surrounding lights. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Interesting concept. I hope the red / white lights are distinct and don't go a pink colour, in transition like some.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Interesting concept. I hope the red / white lights are distinct and don't go a pink colour, in transition like some.

It's in Flight Simulator, go to KIWS and fly it. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Updated picture in original post.

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

I see, weird.

I flew around the airport and icame across some areials, i couldnt believe how tall they were, over 2000ft!

if anyone lives in this area, please tell me if this may be true.

Air-Head Guest

That aerial cant be too proportion, look at the size, it would dwarf the Eifel Tower! lol.

One that size would be visible from Google Earth, I cant see it... anyone else.

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

Good point there "Air-Head" about the Eifel Tower.

I guess its Just another M$ F$9 Scenery Error

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Flight Simulator has it correct, I think they're very thin TV station antennas. They are 2049 feet MSL(above sea level) and 1970 feet above the ground. I saw them when I lived in Houston. They are on the Houston sectional chart, 10 miles Southwest of KHOU. HUB 240 radial/10 miles. 🙂
http://skyvector.com/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...