ILS Newbie

Pro Member Trainee
hammerdag Trainee

Ok, learning ILS approaches. Now you look up the runway frequency that your cleared for ILS. Now you put that frequency into your nav 1 radio, but do you turn on the nav 1 button too? If so is it normal for it to beep the whole time? Also, what positon do you put the gps/nav switch say if your landing a heavy jet? Last ?, is there a reason to put the runway heading into your vor indicator when doing an ILS..say if it's runway 6 you dial in a 60 heading? Also when you look at your map why does teh ILS heading differ slightly from the runway heading?
Just trying to fiqure this stuff out, it's incredibly complex for a newbie but it's all starting to come together!

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

Let me try to answer your questions:

If you are doing an ILS approach then input your ILS frequency of the intended runway in your NAV1 radio.You could turn the Nav 1 radio on somewhat about 20 nm from the airport..Regarding Runway numbers you will always notice that they will be two digits and it is obtained by dividing the magnetic heading of the runway by 10..Lets say the magnetic heading of the runway is 363 then the runway number would be 363/10 = 36..
While making an ILS Approach you need to have you switch set to NAV and not GPS...If you are making an ILS approach using Autopilot you need to put in the runway heading in your CRS(Course box) box...If you are not using autopilot you can fly the approach by yourself using the vectors given by ATC and then start intercepting the localiser first(when the localiser needle starts to move) and then intercept the glideslope...Hope this helps a little.. 🙂

dfasdsadf Guest

holy Censored

Censored by Radar

Pro Member First Officer

dfasdsadf wrote:

holy Censored

Is this uncivilian language allowed in the forum?

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

totally get it. ils approaches were completely overwhleming for me, but once you do them a few times, they're easy as ever. I actually prefer to do the ILS approaches instead of the visual because you can use them in pretty much any condition (weather). They're really nice to have, glad you're pickin' it up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

hammerdag wrote:

Ok, learning ILS approaches. Now you look up the runway frequency that your cleared for ILS. Now you put that frequency into your nav 1 radio, but do you turn on the nav 1 button too? If so is it normal for it to beep the whole time? Also, what positon do you put the gps/nav switch say if your landing a heavy jet? Last ?, is there a reason to put the runway heading into your vor indicator when doing an ILS..say if it's runway 6 you dial in a 60 heading? Also when you look at your map why does teh ILS heading differ slightly from the runway heading?
Just trying to fiqure this stuff out, it's incredibly complex for a newbie but it's all starting to come together!

This post might help you out a bit:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/

😉

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

to_coolguys wrote:

...If you are making an ILS approach using Autopilot you need to put in the runway heading in your CRS(Course box) box...If you are not using autopilot you can fly the approach by yourself using the vectors given by ATC and then start intercepting the localiser first(when the localiser needle starts to move) and then intercept the glideslope...Hope this helps a little.. 🙂

I've not done too many ILS approaches and want to do more. I've just started noticing people talking of autopilot approaches and have seen button in some aircraft that suggest that they are for such things.

My question - if you do it on auto pilot does it totally mean a hands free approach? At what point (if any) do you have to take control of the aircraft?

I figure I'll eventually find myself learning more about the details of this but since its a topic I just thought I'd ask.

Pro Member First Officer

SpiderWings wrote:

[

I've not done too many ILS approaches and want to do more. I've just started noticing people talking of autopilot approaches and have seen button in some aircraft that suggest that they are for such things.

My question - if you do it on auto pilot does it totally mean a hands free approach? At what point (if any) do you have to take control of the aircraft?

I figure I'll eventually find myself learning more about the details of this but since its a topic I just thought I'd ask.

Well autopilot is not totally a handsfree approach.While on autopilot you still need to take care of setting flaps, arming spoilers , reveres thrust on touch down.Autopilot does the work of capturing the localiser and glideslope...Flying the whole approachmanuallly without the autopilot is a skilled job..And there is quite a lot of excitement to that...You will need to disengage the autopilot 300 ft AGL and then land the plane manually..Some as Boeing 747 can land by itself,flare using the autopilot but still some work has to be done by the pilot and hence not totally a handsfree stuff...Hope this clears ur confusion

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

There is a big difference between the Approach Hold button and the Autoland button (not modelled into default FS9, but available on some payware). As to_coolguys says, no form of approach is ever "hands-free" - you'll always have to lower the gear and extend flaps, and disengage the autopilot at no lower than 200ft. Approach hold simply 'locks on' to the glideslope and localiser and follows it down, but is not accurate enough to fly below 200ft (minimum) on.

Autoland on the other hand, allows you to set Vref into the MCP, engage CMD A/B and LOC and the aircraft will fly the approach and maintain Vref. Your speed before engaging the AP will be significantly higher, so as your speed bleeds off, you add flaps. Just to make it simple, on the PFD, there are markers to tell you when to add more flaps. AT is disengaged at around 50ft and AP at around 30ft, when you will be flaring.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

1.Now you put that frequency into your nav 1 radio, but do you turn on the nav 1 button too? The Nav button simply turns on the audio part of the Nav radio so that you can ID the signal by listening to the Morse code identifier, you don't have the have it on for the Nav radio to function.

2. What positon do you put the gps/nav switch say if your landing a heavy jet?Nav position for ILS, LOC, LOC-BC, VOR. GPS only for GPS approaches.

3. Is there a reason to put the runway heading into your vor indicator when doing an ILS? The reason is so that the course deviation indicator(CDI) makes sense for left-right corrections(to the pilot). It has no effect on the course indication on the ILS. It will also show accurately the intercept angle and position relative to the localizer.

4. Why does teh ILS heading differ slightly from the runway heading?Signal errors cause by installation location, terrain, and metal buildings can all introduce a small error that can effect LOC alignment.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...