Overclocking CPU

Pro Member First Officer
Spoty101 First Officer

how much can u overclock ur CPU without burning it with default heatsink and fan I have an AMD 64-bit 2.01GHz Athlon processor (single core) rated at 3.2GHz, I want to overclock it to 3.6GHz any ideas how? Also is it possible to overclock the graphics card I have an ATI Radeon 256MB graphic card 16X pipelines and for some reason when I scan my computer with those scanners they have on the internet to see if u can run a certain program it says i have 502MB graphic card, why? 😉

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Spoty101 wrote:

how much can u overclock ur CPU without burning it with default heatsink and fan I have an AMD 64-bit 2.01GHz Athlon processor (single core) rated at 3.2GHz, I want to overclock it to 3.6GHz any ideas how? Also is it possible to overclock the graphics card I have an ATI Radeon 256MB graphic card 16X pipelines and for some reason when I scan my computer with those scanners they have on the internet to see if u can run a certain program it says i have 502MB graphic card, why? 😉

With these sort of questions your asking, in the FSX General Forum by the way, I'm sure you'd be better asking on one of the many PC/Computer/thousands of overclocking sites/forums/call them what you will.

But 🙄 I'm sure that someone will come along and give you a yes, but has'nt got a clue how and can't tell you.

I can't tell you, I've only replied because you've posted your queery in the wrong forum, erm, time for another please....... 🍻

Fancy a beer spoty ? oh sorry, your in a rush to post the same in the hardware forum. Toodle Pip Whip down tiger down 🙄

RandomGuest Guest

First of all there are some things you should know before overclocking

1) Overclocking can reduce the life of a component
2)Find out where the BIOs reset button is (usually somewhere on the motherboard) because too much overclocking can lock your computer up and it will refuse to boot. Resetting allows you to go back to default settings
3) You may not reach your desired speed and overclocking should be done in small amounts at a time.
4)Don't overclock if your applications are working fine because its just not worth it if its for benchmark status.

Some BIOs don't allow overclocking specially some manufacturers who lock such features. Where you find these BIOs settings varies from BIOs to BIOs, so consult your manual if you need to.

You overclock by increasing something called the 'FSB'. My AMD X2 has a multiplier of 11 and its an 4400X2 running at 2.2Ghz.

Multiplyer X FSB = Clock Speed

Heres my CPU calculation
11 X 200FSB = 2.2GHz clock Speed

Most CPUs have a locked Multiplyer, so they can't be changed. So if your multiplyer is a certain value like 11 for example you would have to use the calculation to reach the desired speed. The Multiplyer value varies between different CPUs.

My CPU I have overclocked to 2.4Ghz, so heres the calculation
11 X 218 = 2.4Ghz (well technically its 239😎

Ofcourse when you increase the FSB the system memory also increases. Most overclockers use good quality memory or they put the memory on a divider.

Now theres another thing to consider and that is the CPU voltage. A voltage increase is required if the system does not run staple. You might load your computer and it might crash for example. Voltage increases should only be done in small amounts and most BIOs will warn you of danger high Voltages. Voltage increases increase heat and high voltages can destroy your CPU, so be warned.

Overclocking is trial and error, so the perfect settings probably wont be reached right away.

Now for the ATI...........
Yes you can overclock a graphics card and Tools can be downloaded from the internet. Some Tools will automatically test the graphics card for optimal settings. If you put the memory and GPU speeds too high you will find that games will crash.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...