Flying the plane

Ace II Guest

Hi. i have an old joystick. like...really old. when you fly, do you only use the joystick or do you need the extra buttons. my joystick has 3 buttons :O. and i know its possible to play with the mouse but some people say it is extremly hard. is it?

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Why not try to use the stick as a rudder and throttle and use the keyboard commands for the other functions.
I do that in 2004 where we cant use the mouse unless we download an extra utility.

6th down
http://www.simviation.com/fs2002utilities_gen3.htm

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Ace II wrote:

Hi. i have an old joystick. like...really old. when you fly, do you only use the joystick or do you need the extra buttons. my joystick has 3 buttons :O. and i know its possible to play with the mouse but some people say it is extremly hard. is it?

I hate flying using the keyboard. It just isn't real for me.

You have a few options that might work for you. I would use the X Y axis for elevator and ailerons. The three buttons you
might be able to program for rudder left right and center. Another option I would consider in your case would be to use the
X Y as above and use the mouse for rudder. The difficult part of using the mouse is there is no center. Your joystick will
return to center. The mouse won't and you have to work at getting things centered up with it.

You could use the keyboard for rudder but again I don't like the keyboard for the basic controls.

There is one other option. Use the controller as above and turn on auto rudder. That will take away some maneuvers you
can do but will make it easier for basic flying. Some real planes actually had coupled rudder/ailerons. The Erocoupe for
example.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
sergioj Trainee

I am trying to find this extra utility to use the mouse with FS9. Where is the utility? I looked at the utilities page you quoted here (probably obsolete by now) and could not find it. I want to use the mouse wheel for trimming....

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sergio.

RadarMan wrote:

Why not try to use the stick as a rudder and throttle and use the keyboard commands for the other functions.
I do that in 2004 where we cant use the mouse unless we download an extra utility.

6th down
http://www.simviation.com/fs2002utilities_gen3.htm

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes things do have a habit of moving on after a while.

This is the mouse as a yoke program, I hope it's the one your looking for.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2751/fs2004-mouse-as-yoke-gauge-fly-with-mouse/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...