Make right base?

M15A Guest

....what does that mean? I got that message from ATC, but have no clue what to do...

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

I am not certain but, base is the last manouvre in a traffic pattern before final approach. So when atc requests right base it means make a right turn towards the runway to final approach.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

In FS9 this is one of the instructions a tower controller can give you when you request to land in VFR flight.
Right Base in this case is where the tower wants you to enter the traffic pattern.

It is the base leg of the runway that requires you to make a (90 degree) right turn on to final.

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

There are four parts to a visual traffic pattern; crosswind, downwind, base, and final. A VFR pattern is flown in a box pattern with downwind being opposite direction and parallel to the runway. A crosswind is when you depart the runway and make a 90 degree turn from runway heading (normally patterns are flown to the left unless posted otherwise). Downwind as I stated earlier is when you turn 90 degrees from the crosswind heading (you would now be flying parallel but in an opposite direction to your landing runway). A base turn is when you make your 90 degree turn from downwind (thanks for the correction Ed) which is also putting you 90 degrees to the landing runway. In your case, the call to make a right base meant you were instructed to make a right hand pattern to whatever the landing runway was. You normally begin your descent from pattern altitude then initiating your base turn (this point is often called the perch in military aviation). The last leg is the final approach which is when you turn your last 90 degrees to line up with the landing runway.

Last edited by Prozac919 on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total
M15A Guest

Prozac919 wrote:

There are four parts to a visual traffic pattern; crosswind, downwind, base, and final. A VFR pattern is flown in a box pattern with downwind being opposite direction and parallel to the runway. A crosswind is when you depart the runway and make a 90 degree turn from runway heading (normally patterns are flown to the left unless posted otherwise). Downwind as I stated earlier is when you turn 90 degrees from the crosswind heading (you would now be flying parallel but in an opposite direction to your landing runway). A base turn is when you make your 90 degree turn from crosswind which is also putting you 90 degrees to the landing runway. In your case, the call to make a right base meant you were instructed to make a right hand pattern to whatever the landing runway was. You normally begin your descent from pattern altitude then initiating your base turn (this point is often called the perch in military aviation). The last leg is the final approach which is when you turn your last 90 degrees to line up with the landing runway.

Thanks a lot man!!

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Go to page 21 of the linked document for the basics of traffic patterns.

http://www.stantaleykis.com/DATA/PTmanual.pdf

Guest Ed Guest

Prozac919 wrote:

A base turn is when you make your 90 degree turn from crosswind which is also putting you 90 degrees to the landing runway.

Prozac919, that was an excellent explanation, but I think you meant to say that "A base turn is when you make your 90 degree turn from DOWNWIND," not from crosswind. Right? 😉

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

By stating "Right" base you should be making a right hand turn from downwind on to base. Therefore "Left" base would imply a left hand turn onto base.

Last edited by Tartanaviation on Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total
Guest Ed Guest

Tartanaviation,

I think you missed my point, or maybe you didn't read it-- you would never turn directly from crosswind to base. You turn from crosswind to downwind to base.

I'm sure you know that, I was only correcting Prozac's statement to make sure we didn't confuse the original poster.

Anyhow, this has nothing to do with the poster's original question. I think Odyssey said it most simply. Just make a right turn to final.

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Sorry sorry, general error, late late late night.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Understanding Air Traffic Control (ATC) commands is essential for an immersive flight sim experience. When ATC tells you to "make right base," it's referring to a component of the standard traffic pattern that aircraft follow around an airstrip.

Let's breakdown the typical traffic pattern:

1. The upwind leg - you fly parallel to and in the same direction as the runway immediately after take-off.
  2. The crosswind leg - you make a 90-degree turn and fly perpendicular to the runway.
  3. The downwind leg - another 90-degree turn, but this time, you're flying parallel and opposite to the runway direction.
  4. The base leg - this is a 90-degree turn from the downwind leg, and it's perpendicular to the runway. You're flying towards the runway.
  5. The final leg - the last 90-degree turn to align with the runway for landing.

When the ATC tells you to "make right base", it implies that you need to turn right for your base leg. So, essentially, you're following a clockwise circuit around the airport. If the ATC asked you to "make left base", you would follow an anti-clockwise pattern.

One caveat: This explanation is a simplified version of what occurs in a real-world situation, as wind direction, traffic congestion, and other factors can alter the traffic pattern. This command can apply to both Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 12 as these platforms simulate ATC communications quite accurately. However, bear in mind that the quality of this feature might vary depending on the platform.

Tip: You can enhance your ATC communication skills by checking out some real-world pilot tutorials online. They usually provide great insight into ATC terminology and procedures. Just remember that each flight sim may interpret these real-world rules somewhat differently.

From my knowledge, understanding and complying with ATC commands will add a layer of authenticity to your flight sim experience. So keep practicing and have a great flight!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...