Upgrading from good to extreme

Smailey112 Guest

Hi, Im going to upgrade my computer...

Ive got a AMD Athlon X2 3800...
ATI Radeon X200 pro 256mb
1 gb RAM (only)
a pretty standard motherboard

Im thinking of keeping the proccessor, since its pretty strong. But Im going to buy GeForce 8800 GTS video card. And upgrading the motherboard to Asus A8N 32 SLI Deluxe. With includes that I have to get some new RAM!
So im buying 1gb x 2😀 The one Im buying is realy quick.. (at least I hope, for a prize on dollar 250 :S)

So would like to hear if this sounds good... Or if it is other things I could fix on, to make it run smooth. Money is no problem..

Thanks for every reply

Smailey😀

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Read this article for ideas on components for your computer. These are some of the fastest computers on the planet. It even gives you an idea of how they run different programs including FSX.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156027

guest 12 Guest

none of those systems ran the fsx with good fps

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The FPS are low because of the insane resolution used to push the systems, normal resolutions would perform much faster. You're not going to find faster computers than these, FSX is very demanding.

Last edited by CRJCapt on Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Smailey112 wrote:

Hi, Im going to upgrade my computer...

Ive got a AMD Athlon X2 3800...
ATI Radeon X200 pro 256mb
1 gb RAM (only)
a pretty standard motherboard

Im thinking of keeping the proccessor, since its pretty strong. But Im going to buy GeForce 8800 GTS video card. And upgrading the motherboard to Asus A8N 32 SLI Deluxe. With includes that I have to get some new RAM!
So im buying 1gb x 2😀 The one Im buying is realy quick.. (at least I hope, for a prize on dollar 250 :S)

So would like to hear if this sounds good... Or if it is other things I could fix on, to make it run smooth. Money is no problem..

Thanks for every reply

Smailey😀

You will need to bump your CPU up to Dual Core Processor to handle that video card and FSX.....

You need to rethink the jump from 2 GB in memory to 4 GB......

Since you are getting a GeForce 8800GTS, (that is a good card to work with) and a SLi Motherboard, then why not get 2 8800GTSs? You can put less strain on you video cards when the cards are paired to work together.......

Finally, you forgot to mention your power supply. With what you want to get alone is going to require a power supply from the 450w to 600w range.

Smailey112 Guest

Yes, many good replays here.

The powersupply I would by i the Thermaltake 750 w, and a power supply just for the SLI cards...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2532306&CatId=0

yeah, maybe I should buy 2 cards, and 4 gb of RAM... But the only problem is that i got a new computer just 1 year ago... And with all these new things,
it will become like a new comp. again..

But well well.

Smailey😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

With all the peripherals going to USB and 2 high powered video cards today's computers have to go to 750-1000w p/s and a name brand.
The generic are ½ the power they say on the label.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...