PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies -- God, someone help me.

RichS [5971] Guest

So, I started out on a mission a while ago.
I downloaded the paintkit and figured "Hey, I'll paint the GE Engine Testbed 747!"
And I did. It looked quite nice, too.
I did everything I was supposed to, changed the engine color, updated the Externals, chopped up the FUSEs, and saved as a PSD; then a Photoshop-32bit BMP.
Copied the default PMDG textures, overwrote with modified ones, changed the aircraft.cfg and saved.

Bam. Right to the desktop when I selected that aircraft.

I'm using Adobe Photoshop CS2.

So I figured "Hey, ImageTools might be helpful." Loaded the FUSE into it [.PSD]; saved as the default BMP [24bit] and loaded the left fuse only [as a test] into the texture.ge folder.
PUTTY PLANE! The textures failed to load.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong on this one? I'm completely new to aircraft repaints and this was my very first attempt.

Any help is more than welcome and thanked in advance for.

Yours,
Rich S

[Email@ -- B738 at verizon dot net]

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

In this case I would strongly suggest you follow a proper tutorial written by those who are experienced.

➡ (dead link removed)

The above link will take you to the POSKY Painters Learning Center. First topic, top of the page: Painting Tutorials.
These tutorials will tell you which Posky paintkits to download and work with.

You'll soon be working overtime 😀

As the query from RichS(5971), was specifically in reference to the PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies which has a quite different paintkit from the Posky 747 and following the Posky Tutorial, would only be of marginal help and in some parts, confusing.

RichS(5971), - I note that you do not mention saving the texture file as Extended bmp format - this is the format that is required for FS9 to recognise the texture. You require a free small program named dxtBMP.exe available on Martin Wright's site (Google 'MW Graphics') - open your bmp file and save as 'Extended bmp in DXT3 format'
Hope this helps.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...