FS2004 and WindowsXP SP2

Pro Member First Officer
HowardsRock First Officer

Guys, are there any known performance issues between FS9 and SP2? I'm still having that slowdown/timing issue. It happens intermittently meaning sometime I can get it to work, but it takes HOURS of fiddling around with different things before it works like it should, and the solution seems to be different every time, so I can't really nail down the cause of the problem.

I just did an upgrade from SP1 to SP2 without wiping the hard drive first. FS9 worked fine with SP1, but I have had this issue ever since I did the upgrade. I'm not sure if it's something in the registry that's out of whack or what. But if it were the registry, I would think it would ALWAYS behave like this and would NEVER work the way it should. But alas, sometimes it does.

I do NOT want to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything again, but since I can't find the solution, it's about the only thing left to do.

Thanks,
HR

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

HowardsRock wrote:

I just did an upgrade from SP1 to SP2 without wiping the hard drive first. FS9 worked fine with SP1, but I have had this issue ever since I did the upgrade. I'm not sure if it's something in the registry that's out of whack or what. But if it were the registry, I would think it would ALWAYS behave like this and would NEVER work the way it should. But alas, sometimes it does.

I do NOT want to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything again, but since I can't find the solution, it's about the only thing left to do.

Thanks,
HR

You don't have to wipe the hard drive before you install SP2. I would have suggested to uninstall fs9 prior to the SP2 update though -- don't ask me why, it seems to linger in my memory bank.

Anyhow, what I would try now (retaining the SP2 update), uninstalling fs9 in the prescribed manner by MS and then installing fs9 again and finally installing the patch for fs9 as per instructions.
Maybe the XP SP2 and the fs9 patch got their wires crossed on your hard drive...

In case you haven't read it or you've lost the link, this document is worth hanging on to ➡

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2795/flight-simulator-2004-update-v91/

Pay particular attention to the section: Removing Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight after updating -

See what happens Hack

😀

Pro Member First Officer
HowardsRock First Officer

Thanks Tailhook. I went ahead and backed everything up, uninstalled FS9, and wiped the hard drive anyway. There are some other apps on my machine that will benefit from the fresh XP install as well.

Haven't had a chance to reinstall FS9 yet, but I'll keep you posted on how things go.

Thanks again. I'll keep a local copy of that MS article.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If you wiped your HDD anyway HowardsRock you shouldn't have any problems if you install everything in sequential order.

Do keep us posted, we wanna know if your problems will be resolved. Hack

😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...