Rudder

jandow Guest

Hi,
Can anyone advise me on how to properly use the rudder in FS9!

I'll explain; when taking off in a crosswide, using the rudder by pressing either Keypad 0 or Keypad Enter just once causes far too much direction change. When landing in a crosswind, it seems to have little effect when airbourne (I can't get a "crab" going) and again, too much effect once on the runway. Thus, I tend to land on bank (roll) alone (not ideal when making last minute direction corrections!). Plus, I don't have 3 hands so holding the stick and controlling the throttles makes rudder use impossible.

I don't have pedals so maybe that's the problem but does anyone else without pedals find rudder use tricky?

Thanks.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

You need to get a joy stick with twist function or Rudder pedals to use the Rudder with any accuracy. Without either of these, use auto rudder and avoid crosswind landings. Yes, the Rudder is very tricky without pedals.

The rudder is used to maintain coordinated flight, keep the ball of the inclinometer centered. Rudder is also used to maintain aircraft alignment during crosswind landings.

Joystick with twist eh? I like the idea of that! I'll look out for one....

My current stick is truly rubbish. It has limited movement and is generally not nice to use (only plus point is high number of buttons and a hat (toggle) switch - great for view swivelling).

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply; you seem to be one of most active members on these "How do I...???" type forum questions, so much appriciated.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...