While waiting for FSX DX10 patch...

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Last couple of days I've been searching round the web for a creditable statement that Vista Basic DOES NOT include DX10. Not found it. You can guess where I'm goin with this, most of the new features in Vista and the memory resource they comsume, I'm not interested in.

Anyone have Vista Basic loaded on a machine? What does dxdiag show?

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

I have the Vista Premium Home version. How do I find what you are looking for?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

True DX 10 won't be out for a while.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

humm, I don't know, about Vista
Does Vista have a "run" (program) box under start?
In winXp, you type in dxdiag there and windows tells you more than you want to know about whatever DX version you have installed.

Radarman; what ya mean, isn't DX10 native to current retail Vista?

robson131 Guest

All the version on vista has built in DX10 but the patch that microsoft will be releasing for FSX will be enabling FSX with DX10 plus other performance features. Actually yes DX10 is out its just that the games at the monent are not support. The Graphics card is out ie 8800GTX plus vista, all you need is the games

Andy

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

I don't know what you duys are talking about, but DX 10 is already here....too bad I have forgotten how to print a screen of my desktop, I'll show you.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Thanks Radarman, that's pretty much what I understood.

FSX right now is a DX9 game. Both winXp(Dx9c) and Vista(Dx9L) support it. note; Vista can do Dx9L or Dx10

FSX service pack 1 (sp1) fixes the trees? and other things.

FSX DX10 patch will speed up FSX D3D graphics when run on Vista(DX10) platform.

FSX Xpack (FSX addeniline) adds air racers and race missions. Seems the Xpack will also install the patch and sp1 if not already detected on original FSX.

WHAT A WAY THE RUN A RAILROAD! This is almost Federal.

But what I'm asking is; Does Vista Basic contain DX10 ? Me being cheap an all.

GunDam - Is Dx10 native to Vista Basic ? I can get Basic winXp upgrade for $80

Pro Member Captain

I don't know about basic, but it is definitely in the Home Premium edition.

Pro Member Captain

Okay, I got the info you need:

Direct X 10 IS included in Vista Basic......but I will highly advise you to get Vista Home Premium. Also, make sure your hardware can support it. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Basic is so simple, Premium (as the man said) shows off the "niceties" that is VISTA...but it eats ram, minimum of 1 gig.

As for DX 10 being out now... Umm...

Radar

Pro Member Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Basic is so simple, Premium (as the man said) shows off the "niceties" that is VISTA...but it eats ram, minimum of 1 gig.

Radar

Sure wish I could show you that this is availible in the Vista Premium package..... only if I knew how to take a snapshot of my desktop. I am using CPU-Z to bring up my hardware specs and I am looking at Direct X 10 in the About tab of CPU-Z. It is in the Windows Version box.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

GundamWZero wrote:

... only if I knew how to take a snapshot of my desktop.

Why don't you use GrabClipSave? Easy.

http://www.simviation.com/fsdtutscreensh.htm

Pro Member First Officer
anonymouse91 First Officer

Just use the DirectX Diagnostics tool. Push the Windows Key + R and type dxdiag and click OK. Then just push PrtScn (should be above insert and next to F12) and then open Paint and paste it. Heres mine from Vista Ultimate:

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Thanks guys
I'll assume FSX w/Dx10 patch will run just as well on Vista Basic as on Premium or Ultimate.

Radarman
Look at annoymouse91s' system detail for Vista Ultimate
Memory : 2558MB RAM
Page file : 1198MB used <------ That's just to run Ultimate?

Question; Is that 1198MB still reserved for Ultimate when FSX is being played?

Won't be migrating to Vista till after the FSX Dx10 patch is out anyway. I didn't ask the only working woman in the house before spending $629.90us for the 8800GTX. I'll hear about that till Christmas! She took away my credit card. Becides I like simple.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

oldsamer wrote:

Thanks guys
I'll assume FSX w/Dx10 patch will run just as well on Vista Basic as on Premium or Ultimate.

Radarman
Look at annoymouse91s' system detail for Vista Ultimate
Memory : 2558MB RAM
Page file : 1198MB used <------ That's just to run Ultimate?

Question; Is that 1198MB still reserved for Ultimate when FSX is being played?

Won't be migrating to Vista till after the FSX Dx10 patch is out anyway. I didn't ask the only working woman in the house before spending $629.90us for the 8800GTX. I'll hear about that till Christmas! She took away my credit card. Becides I like simple.

I believe you when you say and show that DX 10 is on your system, I just wish I could find the posting that it (full version-updated) isn't ready...I'll hunt 😀

oldsamer, Vista eats ram for breakfast...what he has is low for it, he runs a tight ship. That's why I bought 4 gigs matched even though I wouldn't need it for 6 months.
My board X975 can use 8 gigs 😂 even to me that's overkill, for now not in 3 years when MS comes out with a new ram eater.

Radar

= Guest

GundamWZero wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

Sure wish I could show you that this is availible in the Vista Premium package..... only if I knew how to take a snapshot of my desktop. I am using CPU-Z to bring up my hardware specs and I am looking at Direct X 10 in the About tab of CPU-Z. It is in the Windows Version box.

Its simple if vista has a paint shop program like xp does. You push the "Prt Scr" button near the top right corner of your keyboard. It should be right next to the scroll lock button. After you push the button you go to paint shop, go to "edit" at the top, and then click on "paste". Hopefully it'll work that way like it does in xp and older versions of windows.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...