ifly 747

Pro Member Trainee
omgttfs Trainee

I've had the IFLY 747-400 for a while now, but not spent much time with it. I'd installed it, got sick of poor fps, uninstalled it, reinstalled it....you get the idea.
Anyway, I've just reinstalled it and I'm actually really starting to enjoy it....

But.......(and I know this sounds dumb)...

I can't really figure out how I'm meant to program the flight data and just exactly what the purpose of it is.
I can fly an IFR flight plan, capture the ILS, nail the approach and put the beast right on the pad everytime.
What does all the programming offer me?

I've read the 332 page PDF manual, and while it talks about the unit, I can't find any reference as to the actual use of it.

Does anyone have any good links for info?

Thanks.

Answers 19 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I really wish i could help on this one, but i have the same problem with this (frame rates that is), which is a shame because it really is a nice model!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I think what we're basically dealing with is the programming of the FMC.

Most of them work on the same principles, meaning if you've mastered one, you shouldn't have any problems using the FMC in another aircraft.

The good news is that you're looking at iFLY's FMC - my favorite one because it's big and you can actually read what it says on the buttons.

The bad news is that the PDF included in the iFLY is a bit chaotic in the layout and doesn't lend itself for studying how to use the FMC.

So here my suggestions:

Use the iFLY FMC for learning, you won't need binoculars.

Here are two different manuals that should help you on your way.

http://www.fsstation.com/tutorials/boeing-pmdg-737ng.html

This one was written for the PMDG and deals not only with the FMC but it is very good (the FMC procedures are the same) and the illustrations are very clear.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2876/fs2004-how-to-program-fmc-tutorial/

This one I find a bit harder to read due to it's format, but it is excellent.

There are many more tutorials around if you look, I suggested those two because I have found them very helpful.

Again, as far as the FMC is concerned, don't bother wading through the iFLY PDF.

Addendum:

Just remembered that there are 2 SPs for the iFly plus some other goodies on this page.

Regarding frames, she's a bit heavy, no matter where you fly but I find relief by not selecting VC and Cabin.

Pro Member Trainee
omgttfs Trainee

Thanks for the references, I'll chase them up.
I have both sp1 & 2.
I overcame the frame rate issue with some fresh hardware. Now capable of 60+ fps with 100% traffic and detailed clouds (though I lock it at 24), all sliders topped out.

To be honest, I prefer the 737-experience for a "jump in and fly somewhere" aircraft. But the Ifly is definately a more realistic experience. It "feels" a whole heap heavier than any other aircraft I flown in FS.

It takes a lot of commitment to get pass the 1970's red carpet.

Pro Member Trainee
RG3 Trainee

I'm using FSX, and have used the iFly in FS9. I installed the base iFly, then sp1, and finally sp2. I go into FSX and try to load up the iFly B747-400, and no gauge error, to my suprise. But I do get this:

I would like to know if there is a way to fix that, because the iFly B747-400 is the best freeware I've ever used, and I'd like to take that to FSX.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RG3 wrote:

I'm using FSX, and have used the iFly in FS9. I installed the base iFly, then sp1, and finally sp2. I go into FSX and try to load up the iFly B747-400, and no gauge error, to my suprise. But I do get this:

I would like to know if there is a way to fix that, because the iFly B747-400 is the best freeware I've ever used, and I'd like to take that to FSX.

I'm assuming that you haven't changed your OS from XP to Vista since the time you had iFLY installed in fs9, because there could be an issue according to the Readme file.

I just tried to run the .exe of the Base pack with the intention to target a Temporary folder and then install manually into FSX to troubleshoot.

Problem is, the InstallShield Wizard only gives me the following three options: Modify - Repair - Remove. It won't let me browse to a folder of my choice to install again. I'm assuming this happens because the InstallShield Wizard detects that iFly is already installed on my system. Obviously I don't want to execute either of those options because I've got the whole lot installed.
Even if I went through that rigmarole, I'd still have no guarantee that during a fresh install I'd be given a choice.

In your case however, if you no longer have fs9 installed it might be worth a try - you certainly wouldn't be losing anything.

I would uninstall EVERYTHING that is part of iFly, then delete any left-overs and start over again. This time of course I would try to override the destination that the .exe has in mind, which is fs9. Even if it's possible to change the target to FSX instead, I wouldn't do that, because you'd probably end up with the same problem you have now.
Instead, as mentioned above, I'd try and force the installation into a temporary folder. If it works, it shouldn't be too difficult to move the bits and pieces where they belong in FSX.

Come to think of it, as apparently no changes have been made by the developers to make the iFly compatible with FSX - what makes us think that the .exe is intelligent enough to find the 'Airplanes' folder which of course in FSX is a subfolder of 'SimObjects' 🤔

I'm curious to see how things are progressing at your end Hack

😀

Pro Member Trainee
RG3 Trainee

First of all, I have another laptop that I have FS9 installed on, and that's how I fly the iFly747. I have FSX installed on both of them. Now, On the computer I am trying to use the iFly747 on with FSX is the Desktop. Here's a list of specs: (Note: I copied this directly from the system summary tab from the System Info utility):

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name BACK
System Manufacturer GATEWA
System Model GT5026E
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2799 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2799 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. NT94510J.15A.0052.2005.0915.1910, 9/15/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-215😎"
User Name BACK\Owner
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 582.84 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

And I don't think I'll upgrade to Vista for a while, Not until Microsoft offers compatibility for every single (and I mean all of it) piece of software that I use....Guess I'll just wait until they release xpSP3.

P. S. When I first ran the iFly .exe on this computer, I told the installer to extract the files into a temp folder, Because I know about the Fs9 and FSX folder problem.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RG3 wrote:

P. S. When I first ran the iFly .exe on this computer, I told the installer to extract the files into a temp folder, Because I know about the Fs9 and FSX folder problem.

So it boils down to this - if I understand you correctly, that is.

You managed to extract to a Temp folder and then moved all the bits and pieces manually?

Now you're not saying, but I assume that when you installed iFly on your Laptop into fs9, you did NOT extract into a Temp folder but instaed let the .exe do its thing.

If that is so... AND if you still have that installation, you should be able to compare if everything is in its right place in your fsx installation on your desktop PC.

Of course there is the probability that changes are made to the Registry during installation seeing it's such a complex add-on. In that case, even if everything is where it's supposed to be, problems would persist unless those registry changes are made Idea

Pro Member Trainee
RG3 Trainee

Okay. Let'sjust pretend that I never said anything about my laptop. Here I am: Fsx installation, having never installed the iFly before. I extract the iFly files to a temp folder. I move those bits and pieces to the correct FSX placement. I load up the iFly, then BOOM. I get blasted away with that error message.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Well, assuming that you did indeed put everything in it's proper place - we all make mistakes - there is still the Registry issue.

If I knew how to outsmart that InstallShield Wizard, I'd love to extract to a temp folder and give it a try. But as mentioned previously, it seems to detect my installation and doesn't offer me the option of browsing to a folder of my choice.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Modifying (placing extra underscores in the key values etc.) the relevant entries in your registry concerning FS9 ought to do the trick...but I wonder what that installer would do if it cannot find FS9 on your machine.

You'll just see it'll come up with a message "FS9 cannot be found, operation cancelled" or something.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

ARD-DC wrote:

Modifying (placing extra underscores in the key values etc.) the relevant entries in your registry concerning FS9 ought to do the trick...

How do I do that? Write a little tutorial for me or link me to one... remember though that I'll hold you fully responsible for any mishaps Devil

.but I wonder what that installer would do if it cannot find FS9 on your machine.
You'll just see it'll come up with a message "FS9 cannot be found, operation cancelled" or something.

Good point but wouldn't you think that the installer would prompt me to browse in that case?
I don't know about you Ardjan but I've got my sim in the default location i.e. Program Files. I've recently become aware that many simmers install fs9 straight into the Local Disk main directory in order to AVOID the Program Files directory. In a case like this, an unsophisticated installer wouldn't be able to find fs9 either... am I making sense?

So how are those guys getting around it?

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

I'm gonna have to do a little bit of research; don't have the details of it in memory I am afraid, I will write up something about this, but you're gonna have to bear with me a little bit as I don't have a lot of spare time today.
I'll try look into it tonight, but no guarentees... Wink

Re. point 2, an unsophisticated installer, i.e. one that would assume a program is installed in it's default location would indeed not get around this. If it did not have a browse option, I imagine it would simply create the folders that it would expect to find, and dump the package in there, which would be of zero use to the end-user.

I am guessing though that everyone smart enough to make an addon, would know better then to build such installers.....🙂

If you mean 'how do the programmers get around it', I never decompiled an installer 🙂 but it seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to check the registry and find the installation path to FS9.exe, and use that registry string as your target location....

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Righty here goes Rich,

In theory, ( Tongue Twist ) The key we're looking for is the bottom one of the two highlighted in the screenshot below.
LINK

The upper key of the two that are highlighted is one I created as backup, since we're gonna mess with it Wink

So, browse here, (look at the status bar of RegEdit for the correct path), then right-click on the empty space in the right-hand panel of Regedit, select New -> String Value and enter a name for the key you're going to create. As you see, I entered EX_Path, so I won't ever forget what the name is supposed to be, should I suffer a memory-blackout or something Wink
Then double-click the newly created key to enter the value for it, in my case "D:\Program Files\Micro....." etc.etc.

Now if you were to modify the value of the original key, (EXE Path) to something like C:\Ifly747, I'd expect that that would be the place the IFly747-installer would now place all its files in.....

The restoration-process will be clear to you I presume...? Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

ARD-DC wrote:

If you mean 'how do the programmers get around it'...

Actually I was referring to the guys who install FS into "Local Disk" instead of "Program Files". I consider that to be relevant because if they didn't know "how to get around it" they'd be missing out on a lot of very good add-ons. I doubt very much that anyone would even consider this to be an acceptable compromise.

Anyhow, I appreciate your mini tut above and your thoughtfulness to provide a screenshot -- exactly what I was hoping for.
And you did all that despite the spell of nice weather in your area and your brandnew speed boat Bow Down

Just gimme a couple of months to get my head around your instructions... did I say 'months'?? Umm... It must be true then.
If I run into trouble, I'll let you know 😀

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Lol 😀: , I get the feeling you're now grossly understating your abilities :p

Anyhow, I trust the standard cautions one would pass along with registry editing instructions are known to you (those along the lines of "Don't touch anything else or your PC will crash and burn" ... etc)

on the second subject, It's not new, but watersport is my first favourite hobby 🙂
Unfortunately that wasn't the reason I was a bit short for time yesterday, I was doing some chores outside the house involving soil, weed, grass and lawnmowers. The type of things found near the bottom of my favourites-list..

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Hmm, sorry. Must post again... I overlooked something: the reason why the installer gives you the M/R/R options (Modify/Repair/Remove) is not because it finds the files already present at your HD, but because it has its registry keys of its own. It just checks whether or not they are already present in your registry, if yes, it presents the M/R/R screen, if not it starts with a new installation.

You need to delete the regkeys contained in this zipfile (dead link removed), once that is done, the installer will think this is the first time it runs and presents you the new install screen. Key 1 and 2 in the zipfile should be there in your registry, key 3 is optional.

One "But", I don't know for sure (never really looked in to it) if the GUID used for Ifly (link) (59CDE5DC4C6480045831B38A62AE3C47) is the same in your registry. If you can't find this GUID in your registry you will have to either use the search function, or manually browse through the folder (as displayed in the screenshot, which shows key 2 from the zipfile) in which the GUID should be located to find the one you are looking for.

If I'm being too brief, let me know Yes

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I feel terribly rude not replying much sooner and I'll be straight with you. I have to set a few hours aside when I'm fully awake and when I won't be disturbed by anything or anyone... including myself.
Don't think for a moment that your industriousness has been in vain; on the contrary this might just be my springboard for a new career such as writing a new OS from scratch. 😁

RG3 seems to have dropped out of this thread which gives me time to explore everything you've offered thoroughly. Once I've understood and digested your guide you can be sure to hear from me, sooner or later... for better or for worse 😀 😀 😀

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Lol - don't worry, I know like no other how life can get in the way of your spare time.

One condition, I get to beta-test TailOS V1.0 Beta, or Plathook V1.0 Beta, or whatever you're gonna call it.. Ha Ha

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

ROFL It's a deal if you promise not to publish the bug reports Blush

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...