How do you REALLY get the jetway to come to you???

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

Alright,

I know about [CTRL]-J.

I know about getting the plane aligned on the yellow-and-blak line. I even think I know about where to stop along the line.

In all of my landings and taxing to gates, I've gotten the Jetway to come to the aircraft exactly ONCE. The first time I tried it. I thought therefore it was a piece of cake. But I've never been able to get it to come to the plane again.

The only difference I can recall with my one success was that when it worked, the door of the jetway was facing the main exit of my aircraft.

All of the other times I pull up to the gate, the gate to which Ground Control sends me is at 90° to my aircraft (when I park it on the line).

I presume you gotta have your nose wheel on the yellow line, your rear wheels centered astride it. What do te three short lines across the main part of the yellow line signify? I presume something to do with where the main exit or nose wheel needs to be positioned.

I mean I try callng the jetway with engines already off, and still running. With the main exit closed and already open.

I'm at a loss.

mdaskalos

Answers 29 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

I press cntrl j and it works

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

it might depend on what your level of building detail is. I think I've only seen one Jetway too, but I think I had my detail on high at that point.

wht is a jetway?

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

It is that covered ramp you walk down from the terminal to board the airplane.

Pro Member First Officer

rowcoach wrote:

it might depend on what your level of building detail is. I think I've only seen one Jetway too, but I think I had my detail on high at that point.

Just how high does it have to be? If I set mine to Ultra high, the ground is so jerky I cant steer the aircraft to get to the yellow line strain=ght!

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

rowcoach wrote:

That's a good thought, rowcoach, 'cuz as I recall, sometime after my sole jetway success, I think I may have turned the building details down to get some frames.

mdaskalos

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't see the jetways, but I've seen them on
screenshots from other people. Is there a way to make them visible?

- Yes, go to settings > display > scenery and change the "Scenery Complexity"
slider to Very Dense or Extremly Dense. NOTE: The jetways are only available on
medium to large default airports.

The jetways don't attach to my aircraft when I hold
<SHIFT> and press <J>, why?

- Make sure you're at the right parking spot and if you have "advanced
animations" checked in the display settings. Otherwise your videocard doesn't
support shader 2.0. Videocards like the NVIDIA 5200 (FX) and ATI 9200 series do
not support this kind of animations.

Radar

RadarMan wrote:

Videocards like the NVIDIA 5200 (FX) and ATI 9200 series do
not support this kind of animations.
Radar

oops... need new computer too.

You need advanced animations ticked and enough autogen to show afew jetways.

You do not need to be on the yellow line 100%, when i park up i am more or less central with the yellow line but i dont stop my front wheel at the end of the yellow line, i go a bit further so that my exit is above the end of the yellow line.

The jetway will only work when its to the left of your aircraft, and runs sort of parallel with your aircraft.

Im more interested in getting an aircraft with airstairs for FSX.

Joske

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

the new 777's by Cansim that can be downloaded here have a good gound simulation program that have airstairs. There is a Northwest Airlines as well as Air Canada. I think there may be a couple others too.

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

Interesting you mention the 777 rowcoach, 'cause I've figured it out:

I checked on my scenery settings and ran up what I could- still no jetway. Then I realized I was running the Wilco 777, so I went back to the default A321, and I got the jetway working.

Probably something in the plane's .CFG file that prevents the sim from knowing properly where the plane's main exit is.

Pro Member First Officer

A Big Thank you to Radarman.

Yes, go to settings > display > scenery and change the "Scenery Complexity"
slider to Very Dense or Extremly Dense.

That did the trick for me. Oncew I set that to Very Dense, the Jetwys appeared, CNTL+J called them to move and it all worked! Thanks again. KUDOS 😛

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

what plane were you using and where? I've set the scenery to very dense, but the jet ways don't move for me yet. I have an NVIDIA FX 5500, so I don't know if that's why it isn't working. I'd like to try to redo what you did to see if it is my video card.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

jellrod wrote:

A Big Thank you to Radarman.

Yes, go to settings > display > scenery and change the "Scenery Complexity"

That did the trick for me. Oncew I set that to Very Dense, the Jetwys appeared, CNTL+J called them to move and it all worked! Thanks again. KUDOS 😛

Good to hear that it worked, yes you do need a very good card for FSX for textures to render and higher settings to work.

Radar

Our planes have airstairs.
www.eastjetva.com

(you press shift + e + 2)
Please join up and fly for us

Anonymous wrote:

You need advanced animations ticked and enough autogen to show afew jetways.

You do not need to be on the yellow line 100%, when i park up i am more or less central with the yellow line but i dont stop my front wheel at the end of the yellow line, i go a bit further so that my exit is above the end of the yellow line.

The jetway will only work when its to the left of your aircraft, and runs sort of parallel with your aircraft.

Im more interested in getting an aircraft with airstairs for FSX.

Joske

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

Forgive me for veering the thread momentarily back on topic, but I did get my problem fixed.

I had to go into the aircraft.cfg file of the add-on plane that was giving me the problem and tinker with the section marked [exits]. I changed a few values (basically, changing the values of the coordinates where FSX "finds" your main exit, and a couple of other factors), then it was just a matter of adjusting the numbers until the jetway came to the plane precisely at the location of the main exit. The first few cuts at it missed by several feet.

mdaskalos

Pro Member First Officer

WOuld you care to share what the add on aircraft was, as well as what the new tinkered coordinates are?

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

jellrod wrote:

WOuld you care to share what the add on aircraft was, as well as what the new tinkered coordinates are?

Sure. I had sort of thought no one was interested. This is for Wilco/Feel There's B777:

[exits]
number_of_exits=2
//exit_rate.0=0.25
exit.0 = 0.25, 67.5, -8.75, 8.25, 0
exit_rate.1=0.25

I've shot from the hip a bit there, because I'm not at my FSX computer, but those numbers will get you in the ball park. The three numbers in the center are the main one: "67.5" is the "X coordinate" the distance (in feet, apparently) the main exit is forward of a point (perhaps the rear wheels). A bigger number makes the jetway attach further forward on the plane. "-8.75" is the "Y coordinate", the distance left or right of the plane's centerline (negative apparently being left). The jetway WILL go into your plane or stop wide of it depending on this number. "8.25" Is the "Z coordinate", the height above ground the jetway attaches.

I did some playing with the final number at the end, hoping it adjusted the angle at which the jetway attaches (because the body has started its taper to the nose at the main exit of a B777), but I couldn't get it to do anything positive.

I suppose by tinkering with the numbers, you could make the jetway attach to any point on the plane you want. Just park it within the jetway's reach.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

mdaskalos wrote:

I had sort of thought no one was interested.

Oh no, don't ever think that! If only a single enthusiast derives benefit from it, your post is justified. There are always some who follow your ideas and instructions though you'll never hear of them.

Besides, if I'm not intersted in your topic right now, I'll remember in the future that there was something in a previous topic and I can search for it 😎

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

These are the final numbers I am using:

[exits]
number_of_exits=2
//exit_rate.0=0.25
exit.0 = 0.25, 68, -8.12, 8.25, 0
exit_rate.1=0.25

When the jetway comes to the plane, it's not quite centered on the door opening, but it gives room for the airplane's door itself to slide along the outside of the fuselage until fully open, without hitting the mouth of the jetway.

mdaskalos

Pro Member First Officer

Well, here's a new one. Everybody is having trouble getting the jetway to come to them. Yesterday I took a CRJ from Miami to Nassau VFR, and when I got to the gate there was a Jetway, so for S&Gs I called for it (CNTL+J) and it actually came and connected to the CRJ - even with the stairs from the jet lowered! Now THATS wierd. Cool, but wierd.

It won't work for me 😞 I've tried everything I made my settings higher and pushed ctrl J hopefully getting somewhere but the jetways won't move!!

Pro Member First Officer

Here is some advise from Radarman a few posts back

go to settings > display > scenery and change the "Scenery Complexity"

I had all the other sliders set to max, but not that one. As soon as I did, BAM! There were the jetways and they worked.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Aldo, be patient, all the "toys" work slowly in the sim.

Radar

Anonymous wrote:

It won't work for me 😞 I've tried everything I made my settings higher and pushed ctrl J hopefully getting somewhere but the jetways won't move!!

Yeah! I ticked advanced animations and it worked!!!!

Thanks I'm done

Pro Member Trainee
thejonathanman Trainee

mdaskalos wrote:

Alright,

I know about [CTRL]-J.

I know about getting the plane aligned on the yellow-and-blak line. I even think I know about where to stop along the line.

In all of my landings and taxing to gates, I've gotten the Jetway to come to the aircraft exactly ONCE. The first time I tried it. I thought therefore it was a piece of cake. But I've never been able to get it to come to the plane again.

The only difference I can recall with my one success was that when it worked, the door of the jetway was facing the main exit of my aircraft.

All of the other times I pull up to the gate, the gate to which Ground Control sends me is at 90° to my aircraft (when I park it on the line).

I presume you gotta have your nose wheel on the yellow line, your rear wheels centered astride it. What do te three short lines across the main part of the yellow line signify? I presume something to do with where the main exit or nose wheel needs to be positioned.

I mean I try callng the jetway with engines already off, and still running. With the main exit closed and already open.

I'm at a loss.

mdaskalos

if you fly a downloaded plane it may not work. IT always works for me.

Pro Member Trainee
kryton213 Trainee

Hi

Some planes do not have the jet way set up in "aircraft.cfg"
I have a 757 that has the 2nd door open just in front of the wing
and the jetway doesnt move.

can some one tell me how to get it to move? The door opens but nothing notta thing on "ctrl-j"

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

mdaskalos wrote:

Alright,

I know about [CTRL]-J.

I'm at a loss.

mdaskalos

Since it seems your asking how they come up to in real life, well here you go.

Every time i have seen is that first your plane is designated to the correct gate for the size of the plane, and then ya know the little line that leads up to the gate.
So then the guide dude on the ground (forgot the name) will guide you up to the gate and tell you when to stop once on the marker.

then all that's done so the guy in the gate has his little controls and pretty much drives the gate up to the plane and gets it all lined up and then opening up the door requires one person already on the gate and one in the plane (2 people), the gate person will unlock the door from the outside and signal when it's safe to open the door from the inside.

Just a quick explanation, there could be more buts that what i have known and seem them to do.
That pretty much it, there really ain't much to it.

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

You may find this tutorial from our knowledge section helpful:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/page/38/how-to-use-jetways-pushback-in-fsx/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...