How does one install a mission?

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Sorry, but I'm a new subscriber. I just downloaded and unzipped a mission folder that contains two folders, Missions and Rewards, and two files, a .gif image of the plane and a FILE_ID (DIZ file). How do I get these into FSX. I don't see a way to import them within FSX, and there's no ReadMe .doc with the downloaded folder.

Many Thanks,
Martin

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Which did you get and where did you get it.

One of us can check it out and see what it says.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Thanks! I got it from the Missions listed at FlyAwaySimulation.com.

Martin

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

P.S. The mission I downloaded was FSX Mission--Blackcountry Bear Lake.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Keep peeling the "Missions" folder until you arrive at the "Bear Lake" folder. Place the "Bear Lake" folder into your 'Backcountry' directory in FSX:

C\ProgramFiles\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Missions\Backcountry

Now open the "Rewards" folder and Copy and Paste the 'BearLake.RWD' file into your Rewards folder in FSX:

C\ProgramFiles\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Rewards

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Many thanks. Another word on adding scenery would also be appreciated. Sorry to be a pest.

Martin

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

P.S. Tailhook, your link re. installing planes doesn't appear to be right.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

mpf858 wrote:

Another word on adding scenery would also be appreciated.

Adding freeware scenery is very easy if you remember not to get folders with the same name i.e. 'scenery' and 'texture' mixed up.

By default the 'Addon Scenery' folder in the FSX main directory contains only 2 subfolders: scenery - texture. Those 2 subfolders will be ignored entirely unless stated otherwise by the author of the scenery you're installing.
Installing add-on scenery manually consists of two steps:

1. Placing/installing the folders where they belong
2. Activating the (new) scenery

Step One:
After having extracted the contents of the .zip folder (and studied the docs such as the Readme), find the folder which contains the two subfolders "scenery" and "texture". This is the folder which has to be placed into your 'Addon Scenery' folder in FSX:
C\ProgramFiles\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery

NOTE: In most cases the folder contains more than just the two subfolders (scenery and texture) such as DAT Files, more docs, pictures and other nice things. Except for the docs you can ignore all the extras for the time being. The important thing is that the folder must contain the two subfolders (scenery and texture). If one is missing, the add-on won't work.

Ok, you've placed the folder where it belongs in FSX and we're ready for the second step.

Step Two:
Load FSX and go to:
Settings/Scenery Library/Add Area
-- the "Select Scenery Directory" window should now be open. Double-click on the "Addon Scenery" folder and continue navigating to the folder which contains the new scenery you've just installed.
Having found (and double-clicked on) that folder, click on 'OK' and you're done.
In fs9 you have to exit the sim and load it again before the new scenery becomes active. In FSX this is not necessary.

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Tailhook!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

mpf858 wrote:

P.S. Tailhook, your link re. installing planes doesn't appear to be right.

It's right all-right 😉 -you just have to use the Private Message function and state your request Idea

😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...