I can't get beyond Disk 2 during the installation...help

Pro Member Trainee
morrisspider Trainee

I can't get any further than disk 2 when I try to install FS2004. The error message that comes up is:

Set up failed to extract files D:\MSGames6.CAB. This is most likely caused by low memory or currupted cabinet file.

I have an up to date PC running XP Home. I have managed a full installation but was unable to get beyond the 'Create a Flight 'page with out the game closing. MS Support have suggested various things as well as send me a new set of disks. Unfortunately nothing seems to work.

I would be very grateful for any help

Last edited by morrisspider on Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total

Answers 20 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😞 sorry to hear of your troubles
I don't know XP ( but it does sound like a memory problem)shut all running programes ie antivirus and firewall.....anything that uses up memory and try again

Hope its of help

Pro Member Trainee
morrisspider Trainee

ttt

Thanks for your help. Currently I have Norton System Works installed on my PC which I disabled for the FS2004 installation. I also disabled System Restore on XP. It maybe that I have to uninstall Norton all together.

The curious thing is I have X-Plane running on the same PC with no issues. I have also managed to install the same FS2004 disks on to the office PC with out any problems which is all so running XP.

An IT friend of mine who works in the City says he has heard Microsoft are having all sorts of problems with XP compatability and are due to release a software patch to resolve problems.

Meanwhile MS Support have offered me a refund which is not any option I want to take at the moment.

Pro Member First Officer
Riclo First Officer

aloha Spider, Check and see if you have a nvidea card as I heard that is
the problem with a few people,if you do have one check for any new drivers they may have as I heard that this solves the problem.
Hope it helps, Ric

Pro Member Trainee
Fullflaps Trainee

Have you tried to load it on the C: Drive? My install did not like "coach class seating" but worked fine in 1st class (C🙂

Pro Member Trainee
morrisspider Trainee

After following the Microsoft Knowledge Base Artical - 245063, I have now managed to install the game. However I can't run it as there seems to be some incompatability with my graphics card which is an Nvidia Geforce 4Ti4200 with AGP8X.

If I disable the drivers the game runs. If I enable the drivers it fails at the 'Create a flight' screen and shutsdown. Any thoughts ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The drivers could be corrupt.

The drivers may not be compatible with FS9.

You may have to tone down or turn off anti aliasing.

You can use this to get rid of all of the old driver IF you are going to change.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Pro Member Trainee
morrisspider Trainee

RadarMan,

Thankyou for your suggestions. I have downloaded the Driverheaven software and also the latest Nvidia drivers which where released 23 Oct so I will have a go and see what happens.

Keep it the green

MS

Pro Member Trainee
IndiJones Trainee

morisspider! Any LUCK? I'm also having the same problem. In trying to solve this, I think I screwed up my nVidia Riva TNT2 video card. I'm also having the same trouble.

I downloaded the latest nVidia driver, installed it and then tried to install FS2004 again, but it failed. Then I uninstalled nVidia, downloaded "DriverHeaven", installed it and removed all the nVidia files using it. After that, I tried many times to install nVidia driver but it's not working. The driver is installed but after restarting, I see no sign of nVidia in either the Video Setting or Add/Remove Program. In device manager, it doesn't show up. In the Add Hardware Wizerd, nVidia is presented with a ? mark and double clicking it gives the following information:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
UNQUOTE

I think I made a mistake in using DriverHeaven. Now I can't even install the older versions of the driver. Now my display is much slower than it used to be. Could anyone please help with the installation of my nVidia adaptor!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
IndiJones Trainee

Thanks for the info! I've already done Repair of the WinXP installation and the problem with nVidia is gone. Now the problem is with FS2004.

Pro Member Trainee
morrisspider Trainee

Hi Guys

IndiJ - Sorry to hear your story of woe, However there is no better way to learn about PCs.

I've been in Yorkshire with the family for the last four days staying with friends. Much to the dismay of the wives me and my friend, who is also an avid Sim fiend, flew some real time trips around Europe manily in the 737.

I loaded 2004 on his system which has the exact same spec as my machine except his OS is MS2000. The Sim ran beautifully and gave me a glimps of what I'm missing.

After installing and running Driverheaven I can now access all parts of the Sim except anything that needs moving graphics. So getting closer. I have obtained a copy of 2002 which I'm going to have a go with. Failing that I will re-install XP 😞

I can't get any further than disk 3 when I try to install FS2004. The error message that comes up that says something about tranforing info 😳
i dont know what to do and i want to paly
I have an up to date PC running XP Home. I have managed a full installation but was unable to get beyond the 'Create a Flight 'page with out the game closing. MS Support have suggested various things as well as send me a new set of disks. Unfortunately nothing seems to work.

I would be very grateful for any help[/quote]

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I can't get any further than disk 3 when I try to install FS2004. The error message that comes up that says something about tranforing info 😳
i dont know what to do and i want to paly

I would be very grateful for any help

[/quote]

Please tell us the exact error message and your computer system specs.

Radar

Cythe Guest

The installation runs smoothly enough, however when i try executing the game it closes while loading and goes back to the desktop. Only error message I recieve is when i try running the game again, before the game tries to load it says that it closed improperly the last time it shut down. I've tried everything so I'm hoping someone here might be of some help.

My Comp's Specs:
OS- Windows XP Home Edition
Proc- AMD 64bit 3200+
Vid Card- ATI RADEON 9800 PRO (256 MB version)
Sound Card- SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum

If anyone could help i would be eternally grateful.
Thank you

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Nice system.
Make sure you load DirectX 9.0c.
Make sure you have a folder "Flight Simulator Files" in the "My Documents" icon.
Clean out the old drivers for your video card and load the newest ones.
Let us know how you do.

Radar

Cythe Guest

Ive got directx 9.0c and ive got the newest drivers. (Even tried experimental non-official drivers). Still no luck though. Thanx for trying.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you are trying to load it with a CD burner drive that can also be a problem,.
If you have just a CD drive use that.

I would contact MS and tell them that you want the 4 disks replaced, something can be wrong with the disk that isn't visible to the eye.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

I had the same problem with the same symptom. I succeed to download it with external cd burner UsB . After replacing memory chip the problem gone. It is not the CD

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I loaded mine with the CD burner but at times it seems certain pieces of software or burners can be a problem.

IL2 Sturmovic FB tells you in their directions that it wont load using a CD burner, it took me at least 5 tries to finally get it.
I deleted it the same day, junk.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

I always disable my personal firewall and my anti virus. I have Norton anti virus and in the past i had problem installing programs because I set up Norton to prevent any executable files. Check your firewall (if you have one) and antivirus security settings

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...