A slight problem with FSX, I'm certain someone can help.

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

Hi guys, I've messed with my poor FSX config file, whatever file you set values for stuff in, the normal one everybody messes with. (i can't think of the name now as I haven't messed with it in a while)I messed with it so much that the sim runs well, but on top of the tower, where the rotating beacon is, it is now 2 black cones that spin around instead of light. Can someone tell me what setting I have wrong to get this? I thought I read somewhere that if you want to go back to the default settings for everything you can just delete the file entirely and upon starting the sim it will make the file automatically, with all default values. Is this true?

If I can just get my rotating beacon back I don't really want to have to go back to all default settings if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You'll have to delete it, build anew one and make a copy so this won't happen again.

That is if no one can fix the line that you need.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

Ok, so that is true that if you delete the file the game will automatically make a new one with all default settings?

I certainly want to make sure before deleting anything as this is the only prob I have with the sim and I don't want my attempts to fix it to kill my game.

I also noticed that the "yellow brick road" that FSX gives you when you select progressive taxi instructions is also messed up, along with the bugels coming out of the rotating beacon.

Neither of these is very bad, but just little annoyances I'd like to get rid of if I can.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If rebuilding doesn't help, drop in disk one and do a repair.

You realize that when you do something like a repair your taking the risk of blowing the install.
Just a friendly warning, nothing is foolproof.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

Yep if you delete fsx.cfg it will rebuild a new one.

waterinthefuel wrote:

Ok, so that is true that if you delete the file the game will automatically make a new one with all default settings?

I certainly want to make sure before deleting anything as this is the only prob I have with the sim and I don't want my attempts to fix it to kill my game.

I also noticed that the "yellow brick road" that FSX gives you when you select progressive taxi instructions is also messed up, along with the bugels coming out of the rotating beacon.

Neither of these is very bad, but just little annoyances I'd like to get rid of if I can.

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

Thanks guys, thats the info I needed.

I'm going to reset everything back to normal and try again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

he cant just uninstall and reinstall FSX?

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

Help!! I can't find the file! I used window's search function and it can't even find it!!

What other name can fsx.cfg be?? Where would it normally be located so I can manually find it myself? I manually looked in the documents and settings thing and nothing is there! You guys won't believe this, I even did a search with known phrases in the file such as TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL and it found NOTHING! The file appears to have possibly been deleted!!! I'm certainly going to need a fresh file if someone can send me one!

What the heck is going on here?

Can someone maybe email me the default FSX.cfg file? That would be great. Email address is b_hebert1234@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Pro Member Trainee
G0Nz0 Trainee

you have system folder hidden by default, google it if your unsure, but the folder is at

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

Well I told windows to search all hidden files and folders and it couldn't find it either.

I don't have that directory that you are talking about. I don't have a "your user name" directory under "documents and settings."

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

waterinthefuel wrote:

Well I told windows to search all hidden files and folders and it couldn't find it either.

I don't have that directory that you are talking about. I don't have a "your user name" directory under "documents and settings."

Try just looking for FSX in the search area, and see if it comes up that way, it should come up.

Pro Member Trainee
G0Nz0 Trainee

waterinthefuel wrote:

the your user name should be the account your running on, may be admin or your 1st name, hence me putting your user name in brackets 🙂

start from c:\, dont just dive into my docs as thats not the right path.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...