Graphics Cards

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

Hi there....im currently running FS9 on an ATI Raddeon 9550, which has for the last 6 months kept me content with framerates and graphics etc.
But recently ive been monitoring the Flyaway screenshots and although my graphics that bad i would really like to see a massive improvement in my graphics.
I have messed about with the FS9 settings to get the best results i can possibly get but i am greedy for more.

Can anyone recommend a good graphics card but without the huge expense, my budget is about £70.

many thanks

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I share your desire and your confusion and I can assure you that I will be following this thread with great interest until the bitter end.
TTT and Radarman will soon be back on the shift and many others who are very knowledgable regarding gfxs (but you already know that) - I just hope you keep pushing the issue until all misconceptions and assumptions have been done away with.

Best of luck.
Rick 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

top one in this list looks quite good

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html

slightly over budget but not hugely expensive either

looks to have a good cooling solution but will take a little extra room up in your case by the looks of it..

check it for reviews though by alll means..

also

the 9800 pro is quite good - i have one on my old machine and it served me very well indeed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

As an Nvidia fun i would like to suggest also the following:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6600AGP_Series.html

I always run Nvidia VGAs(5200-5700 and now 6800 )and im more than satisfied from this chipset. 😉

Let us know your thoughts.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Insight mentioned the ATi Radeon 9800 pro 128 DDR, that's what I have. It's served me better than I had hoped and would recommend it. If you can afford better, do it.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

ive just checked the prices on ebay for the ATi Radeon 9800 pro and it seems within my budget for a secondhand one, if i dont hear any other recommends ill go for i think.

cheers for the advice

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Hi,

I agree with RadarMan's recommendation, I had good, reliable service from the ATi Radeon 9800, and I got my card from eBay too ... should be within budget. I just upgraded to the ATI Radeon X800 and that's a beauty but pricey at £200.

Good luck, hope you get a good 'un !

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

Right i need your help again shipmates, in making my final decision on a graphics card, but what i need to know is will i see a "major" difference in upgrading from this:- (my current graphics card)
ATI Radeon 9550 256MB DDR
- ATI Radeon 9550 GPU
- 256MB DDR memory
- 128-bit memory interface
- Features ATI's TRUFORM™2.0, SMARTSHADER™2.0 and SMOOTHVISION™2.1, and HYPER™Z III+ technologies
- SMARTSHAER™2.0 technology supports DirectX®9.0 and enables more complex and realistic lighting effects
- Sharper-looking 3D graphics with ATI SMOOTHVISION™2.1 technology
- TRUFORM™2.0 technology that makes the outlines of 3D characters and objects look smoother and more natural than ever before
- AGP 8X Support
- Dual display support with HYDRAVISION™
- Integrated TV-Out support up to 1024 x 768 resolution

TO THIS:-

HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X700 ICEQII 128MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (RX700-AGP128ICEQ) (GX-045-HT)