Landing/breaking a ski plane

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Is there any way to slow down a ski plane once it's landed. Do the regular breaks do anything?

Thanks!

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Taylor (Flyboy92) First Officer

Friction 😀

Flyboy92

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Or going over an icy cliff seems to do it too.

Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Any other thoughts, anyone? Opening the cockpit door and dragging feet?

Things like reversing engines, deploying a chute, etc., don't work too well for the Maule M-7-260C ski plane in the Denali Base Camp Charter mission when I elect to try the optional challenge to go to the Medivac Camp on the way back.

BTW, has anyone sucessfully completed this challenge in the Denali Base Camp Charter mission, i.e. the optional challenge to go to the Medivac Camp on the way back? If so, how did you approach the landing?

Thanks.

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Thank you.

Interesting! I doubt the tiny single engine prop plane can do that, but I'll try.

Happy TurkeyDay.

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

hey you never know, the caravan does it, in fsx.

on the other hand, if you're really daring, there is a package of several skins for the default DC-3 which includes 3 L-47's. (search avsim for the awesum4sum) try landing one of those! no reverse thrust, no brakes of any kind, heavy plane that wants to either fly or keep on sliding. for me, i use a shallow slow approach, full flaps to the point where i try to stall it in ground effect so i can try to slow with the flaps as much as possible.
in real life they prolly do it different but that is the only way i know.

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Many thanks!

I now have two things to try after I catch that turkey! (not the FSX programmer)

Pro Member Trainee
lackoftalent Trainee

Lift the skis when you land, this will help you from sliding

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

There is no friggin way I've been able to land at the Medivac site (F2 doesn't work; but I haven't tried changing planes). In the first place, the Medevac altitude (14.3kft) is near the envelope for this plane . When I fly around and coax the altitude up, I can try several approaches. On one, I've suceeded in landing (in tact) and even came to a STOP - only to have the plane, flaps down, gear up or down) slide backwards, then around, ROLL down hills, and shoot me over a cliff (if I survive the bumpy ride down before going over). On the way, I come close to the Medevac tents but can do nothing about it. Methinks I'll post another message specialized to this flight, vs. landing ski planes in general.

Thanks to all!!

Pro Member Trainee
G0Nz0 Trainee

i managed to slow the slide back down once and stopped it on the throttle long enough for the loading sound, then after hitting save !

about 18 retrys l8r i was in the air 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee
medps Guest

Assuming you have no reverse thrust capability, once commited to landing:

1. Bring her in as slow as you dare.
2. Lift flaps over the hedge.
3. On landing, mixture control(s) to fully lean (engines off) - but see comment below.
4. Using plenty of rudder, coast to the airfield coffee shop.

Works a treat in FS2020 with the Junkers 52, but I do keep engine no.2 running, until 50 metres or so from the desired stop point.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...