Denali Base Camp Charter Mission – One Solution for MedEvac

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

😀
I posted a message here requesting help on flying the optional mission to the Medical Camp. Someone kindly posted the suggestion to go to http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=printer_friendly&forum=256&topic_id=418 where various methods are suggested. Most of these involve coming to rest beyond the camp and getting back downhill with other maneuvers. I tried these, without success, and would like to offer my own solution, which I think might be a lot simpler for some of us.

First, after you find the camp, fly around a bit (flaps in, skis down, full throttle) beyond the cliff to get your altitude up to about 14.5kft. Then come in straight towards the edge of the cliff and the camp, extending flaps to full out and throttling back soon as possible, aiming for the camp but getting as low to the ground as EARLY as you can – just past the cliff – and try to set it down BEFORE reaching the Camp. With throttle at idle and full flaps, retract the skis to let the wheels help you slow down, and use the rudder to steer slightly left of the Camp. This way, you can stop AT the Camp, where it’s level. With the injured person aboard, give it full throttle, skis out, and use the rudder to turn around towards the left, back towards the cliff. It’s an easy takeoff because of the cliff. Retract the flaps and you’re on your way to glory (and a pancake breakfast) at Talkeetna – and retract those skis before landing.

Last edited by mpf858 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
paulchris2 Trainee

Hello, I read your email and decided to try the mission. I landed with no problem but I CANNOT seem to take off to extend the mission and pick up the guy that is has the broken hip or whatever. Every time I try to take off from the camp my plane starts to skid toward the right and I cannot straighten out for take off. It's killing me!! Why can I not take off from the ice without veerting to the right all the time? I am so frustrated I have to leave it alone for a while. Any suggestions?
Paul

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Please clarify. Are you having trouble taking off from the first stop or in the optional mission, after that, to pickup someone at the Med Camp (at 14.3kft)?

Pro Member Trainee
paulchris2 Trainee

Hi, I am having trouble taking off from the base camp for the optional mission. I have successfully landed where I should at the camp and I have accepted the optional missoion to rescue the guy in trouble. But I cannot take off without slidint to the right wherever I try to take off from.
Paul

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

If you've picked up the passenger, give 'er full throttle and turn left with the rudder. I'm assuming you're to the left of the Camp upon stopping. Let me know, and I'll try to simulate your situation. When you're stopped and the passenger is aboard, tell me your location and heading relative to the Camp and cliff (not compass, necessarily), plus your gear and flap status.

Last edited by mpf858 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

P.S. I'm still a little unclear as to whether you're trying to take off after you've picked up the passenger at the Med Camp, to which my above answer applies, or are trying to take off from the first stop to head out to the Med Camp.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...