I'm confused: Ultimate Terrain vs. Ground Environment X

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Anyone know the difference between these two. I have them both installed but not sure which one (with default settings) is more optimum.

Anyone else have any insight to share?

- Kareem

Answers 19 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

If I am right which I am not sure I am GEX improvese the textures of the ground and Ultimate Terrain X Improves landclass like mountains etc. I heard that having them both together though is really good.

Pro Member Trainee
james (blackforce) Trainee

well to tell yopu the truth Ultimate Terrain X is a waste really it really only brings nice roads as far as i can see..... but gex is damn nice and get also a good mesh like fsgenesis and your all set, forget about Ultimate Terrain X it's just a waste of money as i see it

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

If you have a good set up then I would probably get Ultimate Terrain,GEX, and FTX. Now not saying all together if I could I would but you can mix them up anyway you like. I loved Ultimate Terrain USA for fs2004 it was great. Like blackforce has said I to would not get UTX. I probably would get Fsgenesis and Gex or FTX. Those I think are some good choices. Also these are opinions you could see UTX and love it so its up to you.

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Is FTX only for Australia?

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

I know alot of it is AU etc, not sure when the US Blue is coming out. Just wish it covered the whole US.

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

Hello fellow simmers,
UTX is for "landclass", GEXn is for "textures".
I have been using both and they are "great" together.
Go to http://gex.flight1.net/Index.htm and read the threads - a wealth of information. One fellow, NickN, is one of the sharpest simmers I've ever seen on the "overall" use / tweaking / hardware tweaking. I have learned so much and my simming experience has become just phenomenal.

Worth a look -

IMHO - I have been using GraphicX, UTX, and now GEXn and in combination, YOU WILL FLY MORE just to look at the scenery. I have addeded SceneryTech and it's even better. REX will replace my GraphicX as soon as it's replaced. I have NO intention of adding anything else - will not be necessary.

cthiggin

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

I have them both - UTX & GEX. Do I need to "turn them on" or are they running by simply just having them installed?

Pro Member First Officer

MAKE "SURE" you have the updates to both UTX and GEXn - they have posted several updates the past two weeks that are crucial.

YES, once you have installed and configured, you do not have to start them each time. You can disable UTX in it's console, you can disable GEXn in the "Scenery Tab" in FSX.

Hope this helps - (BTW, the updates have made both products just more phenomenal)

cthiggin

Pro Member Trainee
james (blackforce) Trainee

yeah right utx sucks bad to me........... like i said if your in to roads then utx is for you lol thats all it really brings out

Pro Member First Officer

blackforce -
"to each his own" -
A ton of simmers are trying to get excellent "eye-candy" to go along with the planes and a "more believable" simming experience.

Just like FSX & Acceleration aren't for everyone, that's why we have choices - and for you, UTX is not a viable add-on, so you don't use it - however, when combined with other texture / landclass programs, the end result can be very satisfying.

Again, it's about "choices".

cthiggin

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Thanks. Yes, it looks like I have the latest version according to the GEX, to date, I have Ground Environment X v1.04.

Pro Member First Officer

You need version 1.05 -
cthiggin

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

WHen did 1.05 come out, I got mine in february not sure if mine has it or not.

Pro Member First Officer

About 8 or nine days ago when the GEXn patch came out, along with the UTX patch (in GEXn console). The top of the GEXn interface should say 1.05.
You can go to the GEXn support page and I think it's the first or second "sticky" thread - OR - just google it.

If you can't find it, let me know and I will post the address.

cthiggin

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

yeah, not sure which link it is on their support patch. webdesigners, I tell ya.

just found it. boy what a big file.... 1.7G

Pro Member Trainee
lgt1 Trainee

Im not sure what blackforce is talking about but I just purchased UTX and Fscene4x and it is fantastic Just try Flying over The town of Creston BC with UTX disengaged and then again with it turned on the difference is like night and day . believe me I lived there for 12 years there is not even a town there in the stock FSX. My next purchase will probably be FSgenesisX for the mesh . 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

Still waiting for REX

Pro Member First Officer
zakk hutton (chez64) First Officer

i use FS GLOBAL 2008 thats pretty good and fps friendly

Pro Member First Officer
Llain First Officer

UTX is not just about roads it is about landclass and also improves the coast line, rivers, lakes and much more. GEX works well with UTX.

I have UTX for Europe and you see a big differance over holland where all the rivers and beaches are in the right place, I am looking forward to GEX for Europe to add to this.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...