Canceled Account

Pro Member Trainee
acemace Trainee

My 62 yr old dad loves flight simulator, and as a small gift I've
been paying for this sites registration since sept of last year.

He has FS X and required my computer knowledge to help install
some of the neat things he saw on the site, well this site charging
for downloads is a total and complete ripoff,
more then half the things downloaded didn't work.

In fact in that whole FS X section very little actually works, and I
build/repair pc's, it's in no way user confusion.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I believe you'll have to go thru paypal or your credit card company to stop paying. Site administrator rarely comes to the forum and reportedly doesn't respond to email or private messages.

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor (Flyboy92) First Officer

The last time i checked you had to be a paying member to be able to download stuff from this site Emerald...

Flyboy92

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor (Flyboy92) First Officer

Well i don't pay per month because i signed up a few years ago, However i always thought that some people were honest but apparently not 🙄

Flyboy92

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

I recently stopped paying too... what's the point. I come here to talk with you all anyway not to download. I get my downloads from AVSIM.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

belgeode wrote:

I recently stopped paying too... what's the point. I come here to talk with you all anyway not to download. I get my downloads from AVSIM.

I joined a while back so I don't have to pay either.
I only use this website for the forums, my downloads come from Avsim, Simviation etc 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Westernstyle First Officer

Joined a year as well- AVSIM gives better downloads, BUT have no forums, so IDK i get downloads from AVSIM

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Westernstyle wrote:

Joined a year as well- AVSIM gives better downloads, BUT have no forums, so IDK i get downloads from AVSIM

I think you'd better check the top of the home page at Avsim because they certainly have got a forum! 😕

Pro Member First Officer
Westernstyle First Officer

Well not as easy as this forum..... 😂

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

acemace wrote:

... well this site charging
for downloads is a total and complete ripoff...

You pay to help bear the cost of maintaining a website (server space, bandwidth, etc.) not for the downloads. One would think a comptuer "builder/repairer" would know this. In any case, you can cancel it in your PayPal account though your History by going into your Subscriptions and cancelling it there.

acemace wrote:

... more then half the things downloaded didn't work.
In fact in that whole FS X section very little actually works, and I
build/repair pc's, it's in no way user confusion.

HA! you'd be surprised. 😕 Actually, it IS user confusion...but it's excusable. Here's why: It took me a few weeks of fooling with downloads to get some of them to work. The problelm isn't that Fly Away's downloads don't work (Fly Away doesn't actually make all the planes available for download here). It's that the people who are designing and uploading these downloads don't know as much as they THINK they do.

Open two different dowloads (from 2 different auhors) and you'll see the folders and the contents of those folders may be very different. One may just be plain wrong! For example, I downloaded an airplane that was so "hi tech" that the author decided to be cute and try to include a Setup.exe file to install the plane. 😉 wow, impressive! 😂 Well, when you look at the install path that the guy put in there, there is a noticable syntax error. The path should be ...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes. Well, this guy has his going into ...\Flight Simulator X\... So he didn't include "Microsoft" in the path and the computer couldn't find it. It wanted to CREATE a new folder! I caught it and saved myself alot of looking around for it later. You have to open these downloads and use your own brain to figure these things out because the guys uploading these things aren't nearly as clever as they'd like to believe. 😞
My best advice is to look through the FSX folders and see how Microsoft has laid out everything. Then make sure that ALL the downloads are laid out exactly the same way. If a download doesn't include something that's necessary (for example, a Model folder), delete it. There are plenty that actually work. There is no need to waste time with a crappy download that somebody didn't assemble correctly. The time you spend trying to monkey with improper downloads, your dad could be flying.

Another intersting thing I've found is that many authors have BOTH FS2004 and FSX. They try to port the FS2004 planes over to FSX...and it works on their system so they think all is well. However, I've NEVER had FS2004 and I usually have problems with the planes that have been ported over. Why? Not sure...but I think that by virtue of their PCs having FS2004 on them, there are some hidden settings or configuration somewhere that allows their FSX program to more easily run the FS2004 ports. Perhaps, there are some DLL files or something that is reading the previously existing FS2004 information while they are "testing" their creations in FSX. Whatever the case, these FS2004 ports to FSX don't work as often as their authors believe they do. I usually have to delete them.

In some cases, I've seen a download labeled that is WILL run in FSX and has been tested, etc. and runs without any problems. When I go to fly it on my FSX, I go to accept the guages and a dialog box pops up telling me that these guages have been made for FS98 and are not compatible with FSX. On the occasions that I've gone ahead anyway...sure enough, when I go to fly the plane, there are NO guages showing in the cockpit. Yet, the author swears that it worked for him in FSX. DELETED!

To be honest, I have these problems with add-ons from here (Fly Away) as well as AVSIM, SimAviation, and fs-freeware.net so it's not JUST Fly Away.

The only way to avoid MOST of these headaches is to buy PAYWARE planes (like from Aerosoft, etc.). Even then, you may find a bug or two (I've seen some crappy work from Abacus, for example). Unfortunatley, you pretty much have to "babysit" every add-on download until you have it correctly installed completely and have done a test flight...and everything checks out. Yeah, it's a pain...but, hey...the add-ons ARE FREE. You can't expect too much.

Not to solicit too much, but one group that makes FREE add-on planes that I have found to be pretty good and reliable is Premier Aircraft Design. I have emailed them with a couple of Tech Support questions in the past and they have gotten back to me within a couple of days. 🙂

Last edited by Mark (totallyfrozen) on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

totallyfrozen:

I've seen some crappy work from Abacus

agreed they shot have stopped after FD4 because those planes were horrible i found freeware better than them and the sound was never good because most of the time i had to turn off my speakers and the control was horrible the F/A 18 hornet was even worse (the F/A 18 super hornet was not all that bad however) and the catapult launches way to fast and it would nicer if the aircraft went a bit slower with momentum then reach 60 knots

and the additional P-15 mustang for the wings of power add on was even worse and dont even get me started on it.

in all you gotta look around and find dedicated authors that really want to create planes at their best like phoenix simulation (they are down because the artards who download from torrent sites and i really wanted to get the 757 Crying or Very sad ) [/b]

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...