How do I land the Piper Cub...

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

without the wheels pointing at the clouds when i come to a stop???

I need some tips. I've figured out that the plane is still flying even with its wheels on the ground. I need to rudder-left to counter its natural pull to the right...pull back on the stick once lift has dissipated...

Any really good advice out there?

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your best bet is to take the first lesson, then you should be able to land.
Using the Cessna is perfect, I used the DC-3, it was easier for me.
Never start with an airliner.
Go for it and enjoy!

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

I can LAND just fine!

It's the NOT FLIPPING UPSIDE DOWN BEFORE I STOP that's giving me issues.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

When you land coming in at a low angle with full flaps, land at no more than 60, keep the flaps down and don't hit the breaks, they can topple a aircraft like the Cessna over.
Roll for a while and then break, land on your main gear with the nose wheel in the air for as long as you can (still full flaps).

That's why I suggested the DC-3. It's a tail dragger.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

Theres no nose wheel on a Cub

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

Brook wrote:

Theres no nose wheel on a Cub

I press shift+Enter to adjust the seat height, to get a slightly better view over the cockpit..... especially as you know, when it slows the nose suddenly shoots skyward as its a taildragger.

Yes it is easy to roll it with excess rudder usage. Are you also using the ailerons (i.e. banking the joystick/yoke). That would worsen it.

I would say just use the rudder to keep it on a level head when landing.
Hope that helps a little.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Try using the differential brakes by braking and using rudder at the same time 😉

Pro Member Trainee
thunderbird522 Trainee

Brook wrote:

without the wheels pointing at the clouds when i come to a stop???

I need some tips. I've figured out that the plane is still flying even with its wheels on the ground. I need to rudder-left to counter its natural pull to the right...pull back on the stick once lift has dissipated...

Any really good advice out there?

Uh, thats kind of impossible since its a taildragger (its supposed to do that, like the DC-3)

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...