SearchSearch 

How do I land the Piper Cub...

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

without the wheels pointing at the clouds when i come to a stop???

I need some tips. I've figured out that the plane is still flying even with its wheels on the ground. I need to rudder-left to counter its natural pull to the right...pull back on the stick once lift has dissipated...

Any really good advice out there?

7 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your best bet is to take the first lesson, then you should be able to land.
Using the Cessna is perfect, I used the DC-3, it was easier for me.
Never start with an airliner.
Go for it and enjoy!

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

I can LAND just fine!

It's the NOT FLIPPING UPSIDE DOWN BEFORE I STOP that's giving me issues.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

When you land coming in at a low angle with full flaps, land at no more than 60, keep the flaps down and don't hit the breaks, they can topple a aircraft like the Cessna over.
Roll for a while and then break, land on your main gear with the nose wheel in the air for as long as you can (still full flaps).

That's why I suggested the DC-3. It's a tail dragger.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

Theres no nose wheel on a Cub

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

Brook wrote:

Theres no nose wheel on a Cub

I press shift+Enter to adjust the seat height, to get a slightly better view over the cockpit..... especially as you know, when it slows the nose suddenly shoots skyward as its a taildragger.

Yes it is easy to roll it with excess rudder usage. Are you also using the ailerons (i.e. banking the joystick/yoke). That would worsen it.

I would say just use the rudder to keep it on a level head when landing.
Hope that helps a little.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Try using the differential brakes by braking and using rudder at the same time 😉

Pro Member Trainee
thunderbird522 Trainee

Brook wrote:

without the wheels pointing at the clouds when i come to a stop???

I need some tips. I've figured out that the plane is still flying even with its wheels on the ground. I need to rudder-left to counter its natural pull to the right...pull back on the stick once lift has dissipated...

Any really good advice out there?

Uh, thats kind of impossible since its a taildragger (its supposed to do that, like the DC-3)