Aircraft Steering...

Pro Member Trainee
CHECHENVIP Trainee

How can I make the nose wheel steer without using the rudders?

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

The only thing possible is differential power (if ME) and differential braking. Rudder pedals are connected to the rudder and interconnected to the nosewheel. There is no way to do this independently.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

CHECHENVIP wrote:

How can I make the nose wheel steer without using the rudders?

Not possible in FS as Tartanaviation said! 😉

Pro Member Trainee
CHECHENVIP Trainee

no i mean steering the nose wheel when u turn the joystick or the mouse to the right or to the left not the rudder pedals...

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

When you turn a 172 and a 182 in real lief the rudder does move accordingly and I am certain it does this in all aircraft

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Im able to turn my plane left and right with my joystick without useing rudder...

Should be Auto-Rudder or somthing like that i think...

Pro Member First Officer

Im able to turn my plane left and right with my joystick without useing rudder...

Should be Auto-Rudder or somthing like that i think...

No. When turning on the ground the rudder is always in effect along with the nosewheel. The only way to achieve this is with differential braking and differential power if ME.

The auto-rudder functions regardless of being on the ground, this is a function on larger aircraft. The auto-rudder when selected removes workload from the pilot. When the pilot rolls the aircraft into the turn the auto-rudder automatically moves to the rudder to the appropriate angle.

Obviously the big difference in controls between light aircraft and airliners are fly-by-wire and mechanical.

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor (Flyboy92) First Officer

You can turn on "Auto-Rudder" in the Flight Sim options menu. This allows you to turn the joystick as if you were rolling, and it will turn you on the ground.

Flyboy92

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

In real life they use a sort of wheel in the cockpit to do this, well, at least in the 737 😉

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Cheeks wrote:

In real life they use a sort of wheel in the cockpit to do this, well, at least in the 737 😉

You mean this cheeks,

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

morris91 wrote:

Cheeks wrote:

You mean this cheeks,

Spot on mate 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

On the ground, Auto-Rudder does nothing.

YES, it is possible in FS.

It depends 100% on the aircraft. My POSKY 747 V4 wont turn the rudders until at least 25 knots of speed is achieved.

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor (Flyboy92) First Officer

Razgr1z912 wrote:

On the ground, Auto-Rudder does nothing.

YES, it is possible in FS.

It depends 100% on the aircraft. My POSKY 747 V4 wont turn the rudders until at least 25 knots of speed is achieved.

Wrong, On the Ground Auto-Rudder will steer the plane. Seriously go ahead and try it.

Just turn as if you were turning in the air and the aircraft will turn using it's nosewheel and rudder.

Flyboy92

Pro Member First Officer

Wrong, On the Ground Auto-Rudder will steer the plane

This is incorrect. Auto-rudder can function but it will have no valuable. A large multi-engine aircraft has no slipstream from the engine acting on the rudder, therefore the rudder is ineffective. It is purely a function for roll/turning control in conjunction with the spoilers/ailerons etc.

It depends 100% on the aircraft

The above quote is key in this discussion as well as it being a real world aircraft or a Flight simulator aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Taratanaviation wrote:

This is incorrect. Auto-rudder can function but it will have no valuable. A large multi-engine aircraft has no slipstream from the engine acting on the rudder, therefore the rudder is ineffective. It is purely a function for roll/turning control in conjunction with the spoilers/ailerons etc.

Afraid it's you that's incorrect.

Let's first establish that auto-rudder is simply an FS feature to make life easier for those without twist joysticks. Whilst your logic is sound, and that in the real world, control surfaces are largely useless up until but not including Vmcg (which has nothing to do with a slipstream, purely airspeed) things are different in the sim, which is what we are discussing here because it has no bearing in the real world.

When we twist our joystick or have auto rudder turned on, we also control the nose wheel which is crucial. Along with turning the rudder, we turn the nosewheel. Therefore, if on the ground, you "bank" using aileron with a fairly slow airspeed, you will turn.

If auto rudder did just manage rudder and aileron together, rather than the nose wheel too, then yes, you'd be right.

As it is, auto rudder can allow you to turn on the ground. Try it.

Pro Member First Officer

Yes 99jolegg I dont dispute anything you have said.

what we are discussing here because it has no bearing in the real world.

I should have kept the my posts in context of the sim. Although I would like to add that in the real world whilst Vmcg is applicable for asymetric aircraft, slipstreams are just as important for the light singles. You will use auto-rudder when you do phase 4 at Nursling 99jolegg 😂 . Have you got a day sorted for next week yet?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Tartanaviation wrote:

Vmcg is applicable for asymetric aircraft

❓ Do you mean symmetric aircraft? Asymmetry has nothing to do with Vmcg, especially in the context of thrust, if that's what you mean.

Yes, in a light single, the slipstream will give some effect to the rudder as in effect, it creates airspeed.

I'm going to Southampton on Thursday 😉

Pro Member First Officer

Good stuff, good luck!

It is a typing error. It is applicable though as Vmcg is to do with an off-center engine failure during Take-off, Vmca being one in flight. It goes without saying that in terms of Symmetric Power, it is important, as a loss of an engine will result in a loss of thrust, resulting in a moment.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...