Level D 767 top of descent issue?

Pro Member Trainee
earthdog Trainee

Hi All!

I am having the last 2 days a strange issue...When i finish my climb the FMC instead of showing me the T/D it switches to E/D..

Being at the prog page i see for 1 sec the t/d and after that it switches to e/d automatically

And i am far away from my t/d....

Any ideas?

I am sure that i am missing something but what?

The only different thing that i do for the past 2 flights is that i used STAR from DEP/ARR...usually i am hand flying the SIDs...

Elias

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Not sure why that would happen. The only time I see E/D is in the PROG page with a Zulu time next to it. If you have VNAV set, does it descend after you reset the MCP, as it would usually?

Your last comment is intruiging. Even if you hand fly the SID, it should still be programmed into the FMC. What does the LEG page / ROUTE page look like?

If you don't have a direct path to the destination programmed (with the runway), the T/D won't appear at all so the error may lie here.

See if you can post a screenshot of the LEGS / ROUTE pages and some info on the approach would be good.

Let us know how you get on.

Pro Member Trainee
earthdog Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

Not sure why that would happen. The only time I see E/D is in the PROG page with a Zulu time next to it. If you have VNAV set, does it descend after you reset the MCP, as it would usually?

Your last comment is intruiging. Even if you hand fly the SID, it should still be programmed into the FMC. What does the LEG page / ROUTE page look like?

If you don't have a direct path to the destination programmed (with the runway), the T/D won't appear at all so the error may lie here.

See if you can post a screenshot of the LEGS / ROUTE pages and some info on the approach would be good.

Let us know how you get on.

No, i dont have the VNAV set...

When i handfly the SID i program all the route into the FMC but not the SID...direct from the airport to the SID exit point....and all work correct..

I suspect that it should be something to do with the program of the DEP/ARR...I will try to do the same without setting DEP/ARR page.

Also in the legs page the FL is correct in every leg and all the calculations are done correctly....

I will try today some things and i will have some screens also...

Thanks

Elias

Pro Member Chief Captain

So what function are you using to maintain cruise altitude, climb and descent?

When i handfly the SID i program all the route into the FMC but not the SID...direct from the airport to the SID exit point....and all work correct..

Not sure what you mean here. Do you fly the SID from the plates? If you don't program the SID from DEP into the LEGS / ROUTE, how do you know what the SID is? If you hand fly the SID, what happens with the climb? Cruise altitude and VSI in the MCP?

With regards to the LEGS / ROUTE page, I was referring more to continuity rather than FLs.

What do you do with the STAR? Hand flown?

I think the problem will probably lie in the setup of the STAR or continuity in the STAR / approach. Have you selected the arrival runway you will use when using the DEP/ARR page?

Pro Member Trainee
earthdog Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

So what function are you using to maintain cruise altitude, climb and descent?

Not sure what you mean here. Do you fly the SID from the plates? If you don't program the SID from DEP into the LEGS / ROUTE, how do you know what the SID is? If you hand fly the SID, what happens with the climb? Cruise altitude and VSI in the MCP?

With regards to the LEGS / ROUTE page, I was referring more to continuity rather than FLs.

What do you do with the STAR? Hand flown?

I think the problem will probably lie in the setup of the STAR or continuity in the STAR / approach. Have you selected the arrival runway you will use when using the DEP/ARR page?

sorry propably i didnt make my self clear

I do have all the charts printed or in pdf and i am following the procedures by what the chart is saying..

For the climb i am using VSI and cruise alt in MCP.....

And something else i am using FSBuild2.3 for building my plans. and i do NOT put SID and STAR there...

If i want to do so i am programming additionally after i load the plan, in the FMC.

Also, there is no break in the legs page either in DEP or ARR...

Elias

Pro Member Chief Captain

Maybe the fact you don't use VNAV is the reason you don't get T/D? Have you ever had it before? In commercial operations VNAV and LNAV will be used.

Pro Member Trainee
earthdog Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

Maybe the fact you don't use VNAV is the reason you don't get T/D? Have you ever had it before? In commercial operations VNAV and LNAV will be used.

No i havent got it before...

when ever i have used vnav lnav i didnt have any problem....

I am always using LNAV, however i am relactant for VNAV as i want to study the plane and its behaviour...so iam doing manually the descents and climbs...

Elias

Pro Member Chief Captain

That could be the answer, do you need the T/D mark? I guess you want to know when to manually start the descent. Do you have the descent profile markre on the ND?

If not, you can reset the MCP to ILS interception altitude and use the green arc on the ND to make the desired altitude. The DES section of the FMC also has a VS for the descent profile, I believe.

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

When i handfly the SID i program all the route into the FMC but not the SID...direct from the airport to the SID exit point....

I agree with 99jolegg. It sounds as though there is some continuity error between your route and STAR. It would be useful if you could take some screenshots of the LEGS page showing the last route nav point and the IAF as well as one of how you have the MCP setup prior to the descent.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...