Pro Member First Officer
Westernstyle First Officer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_1420

Most of us know about what heavy rain and pilot error can do 😞

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

I'd never given thought to the fact that spoilers improve braking performance... I'd always just assumed they were used for extra drag.

Goes to show you not to rush things. Surprising that the autospoilers weren't part of their approach checklist to begin with!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Traches wrote:

Goes to show you not to rush things.

Now you're being cheeky bob/Bob... Seems to me they had no choice BUT to rush things... except, well the cause of so many crashes is that the landing COULD have been aborted.
I find the regulation for airliners to carry extra fuel in case they have to be diverted to another airport ironic. Ironic because too many airlines put too much pressure on their aviators to remain within the time schedule and thus compromise the safety of everyone on the aircraft. A typical "damned if you do - damned if you don't" dilemma for the pilots.
Greed raises its ugly head as usual - some airlines give pilots who run late because they put safety above time schedule demerit points... though of course this is never official and would probably not show up or be deliberately buried in the case of an investigation.

I haven't checked the news on the missing Air France A-330 off Brazil yet but there are rumours of a severe storm and a lighting strike... makes you wonder what weather radar is for. If those rumours are true, certainly the pilots would have known what they're flying into - but flying around it? Oh no, remember to be on time.
This is calculation on my behalf and I actually hope that it turns out I'm wrong.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...