737-200 JT8D sounds

Pro Member Trainee
s_linste Trainee

Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new member and my first order of business was to get a 737-200 model downloaded. I downloaded a few but they all seem to have relatively empty sound folders and when I fly them they sound just like the 737-800. I wanna hear those old JT8Ds scream!

Where can I get the original sound files from the 737-200 that I believe was from FS2004?

Many thanks!

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I use this one and am extremely happy:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2791/fs2004-boeing-737-200-pw-jt8d-sound-pack/

Christoffer made one for the 727 as well if you wish to experiment. Theoretically the 727 set should scream even louder 😀

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2871/fs2004-boeing-727-pw-jt8d-9-sound-pack/

Pro Member Trainee
s_linste Trainee

Hey, thanks, Tailhook!

I'm downloading it right now!

So, if I understand correctly, a bunch of wave files plus a config file will work in FSX or FS2004, right? So there's no concern as to which of the two I am running(?)

Thanks!

Pro Member Trainee
s_linste Trainee

Just flew from Ottawa to Montreal. Wow, this thing really does scream! And the sound as compared to the 727 is noticeably different. Perhaps the close proximity of the 3 JT8Ds on the 727 is what makes the difference but the 727 seems to have more of those low frequency "growls" that you get with the 747 when banking. The 737-200 sounds I am getting from these new files is very much like what I have experienced at airports and has an even more clearly defined upper range than the 727. Very cool!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

s_linste wrote:

So, if I understand correctly, a bunch of wave files plus a config file will work in FSX or FS2004, right? So there's no concern as to which of the two I am running(?)

That's correct. However, some aspects in the sound department have been changed in FSX, I think it's called 360 degree sound-panning; you can hear it when you fly an FSX default a/c for example when you change the angles of the exterior view.
FS9 doesn't have this extra trick up its sleeve. Needless to say due to these additional sound aspects in FSX, soundsets for FSX have become somewhat more complicated to make. Perhaps this is the reason why during all the years FSX has been on the market now, very few freeware soundsets have been created for FSX.

In a nutshell, all FS9 soundsets should work in FSX. Whether "native" FSX soundsets work in FS9 I don't know and it won't concern you if you don't run FS9.
Just keep in mind that some file libraries don't even list FSX soundsets, instead you'll find them in the FS9 category.

Look for Christoffer Petersen, Mike Maarse and Devyn Silverstein -- they're my favorites. 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...