the perfect 737 200 ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

Soon on my site i'll be reviewing stuff, so here is a little preview of the kinda thing i'm gonna do:

MODEL/TEXTURES
I only recently discovered this 737-200 model by eric cantu. I know he has produced many good quality models - but i can't remember ever downloading one, thus producing my interest when i saw this one.

The 737 isn't a plane i care to fly too much, however the little engines on the 200 make this plane quite attractive in my opinion, so i bit the bullet and downloaded it. it downloaded pretty fast (even for my 8mb broadband), and i did think maybe it was poor quality AI plane.

The sounds and panel are aliased to the default 737-400.

When i unzip planes i always check out the various file sizes, all fine and dandy; the textures came out at about 15mb in 888mip-map format. Before trying it out i converted the textures to DXT3, now they weigh in at a whopping 5mb - surely that means they're crap?

I think it's pretty blatent to see these textures by Henry William are awesome. If only every plane managed the rare balance of file size and quality - in this department this texture is perfect, i really can find no faults at all!

The model is also very nice, and best of all everything is easy on the precious frame rates. The fuselage, wings and engines are all smoothly modelled and the shine really looks great.

One of my favourite things about this plane is the movement. Everything that should move does (very well) and even includes cargo doors. i hope there are others but i'm yet to look properly.

FLIGHT MODEL

Every 737 i've flown in flight sim has been very pilot friendly and not really much fun. This model however is a lot more fun. The plane has so much more power than i expected, i got a full load to 10,000 feet before i noticed and had to decend, and it manouvers pretty nimbly about, the rudder and banking is quite light for a 737, and i think it really adds to the experience. Landing is a little strange, i found i was hitting the runway at 150-60 instead of the usual 130. The plane taxis neatly about the place, however the brakes are more realistic than normal and fairly weak.

FAULTS/ISSUES

The only little annoyance was the view position - between the wings. obviously this is way too far back and needed some editing in the panel config, not really major but for people with little experience in editing it may be a problem. I did also find the main door opened jerkily - but had nothing to do with framerates (not that that is important either)

THE PERFECT 737-200?

Well this model is wonderful. All it needs is a great panel and sounds:

panel: (dead link removed)
- this panel is pure payware quality. must have.

sounds: help there please?

model: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2872/fs2004-aer-lingus-boeing-737-200/

CONCLUSION
With the panel and some good sounds this package is payware quality: great looking, very easy on the pc, fun to fly...just get it.[/b]

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Very nice. And thanks for the link to the panel. That looks really nice. One question. Do you have a link to the plane? Your description reminds me of the del Sol 737 I have. It is gorgeous to look at. Since I like 737s I'd really like to get my hands on this one.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

sorry, not clear is it. by model i mean the whole thing.

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's what I meant. Do you have a link to the model?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain

Muchas gracias! 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

De nada.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

After having found this in the PS Panels forum, I'm not sure whether the '737 Classic Series (3/4/500) Panel System' is suitable for the -200

... The panel is actually for a 737-300...

After all it does say (3/4/500).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

It certainly won't hurt checking it out 🤔

Pro Member Chief Captain

I downloaded it, but will have to wait till tomorrow to check it out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I'm curious how it'll compare to Greg's panel.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i decided the ps panels version will do as it really is a brilliant panel 😛

eric cantu has made all of the 737 series i think, so you an always get the 300 - it's probably to the same quality. here is the babba 500 https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2874/fs2002-fs2004-air-france-boeing-737-500/

Pro Member Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

I'm curious how it'll compare to Greg's panel.

I tried it out on the FedEx version of the 737-200 you provided the link for.

It appears to reference 5 gauges that I don't have, but I haven't figured out where they are in the panel. It also appears to use something not registered for the freeware version of FSUIPC. It looks good and has a couple of well detailed sub panels. The throttle levers on the main panel move appropriately.

It looks good. Image below.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

It does look indeed - legible dials which is a bonus. There are mor -200s available by the same authors if you're so inclined. 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

the 200 is my favourite of eric cantu's 737's - just because the textures are so much better with only 12 files. i wish all planes could be like that.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...