Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Cross wind landings and takeoff

somewheresunny

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:50 pm 

Hello to all.

I was wanting to know about cros wind landings and takeoffs. I heard about 'crabing' and side slipping. I believe crabing is with the rudder into the wind, and side slipping is the wing into wind. Is this correct? What do you use in flight sim and what do real pilots do??
many thanks
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 pm 

seadogs
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29 pm 

Thats a good link.

If I could just add. I am a real world pilot, and during the take-off role, I turn the control column into the wind. Once out of ground effect (50ft above ground) I then use a crab technique, if the wind is strong enough.
For landing I use the side slip,(better view of runway and personal preference). I might be wrong but I think airliners use the crab method, for better passenger comfort.
Flyboy92
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 am 

As a real pilot, I usually start off my approach using the crab method, once I'm on about a half mile final, I'll switch to the wing-low, or "slip" method. Where you use opposite rudder to bring the nose away from the wind, and then bank into it, this allows you to track the centerline head-on, instead of at an angle, and tends to make a landing easier, especially in a smaller aircraft.

seadogs would be correct in the fact that most airlines use the crab approach all the way to touchdown. It is easier on the passengers, as the slip method tends to feel rather funny, it is also just easier overall to crab than it is to effectively perform a wing low approach in such a large aircraft.

Flyboy92
somewheresunny

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:11 pm 

Thanks you all.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:42 am 

Crab in (I.e. Keep the wings level and the aircraft at an angle relative to the runway) until the flare, then gently squeeze the rudder to straighten up. If you start to move off of the centreline, lower the wing just enough to keep you on it, though it should usually be reactive. Normally you'll touch down straight and on the centreline.