Spot plane views appear grey

Pro Member Trainee
lawfer51 Trainee

Would really appreciate help with this one. Any addon planes that I download apprear grey in spot plane or tower view. The only planes that look fine are the default planes that came with FS2004.

Any help woud be great

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

Do you have the latest drivers for your video adapter. Also consider upgrading your video card. Or to a video card from an integrated adapter. Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed?

Pro Member Trainee
lawfer51 Trainee

Dear Michlin,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, yes I have done all that. I have a laptop, and have upgraded to Directx 9.0c along with the latest drivers from HP. do you think that Active Camera could be the cause?

Still unfortunately, no luck.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

lawfer51 wrote:

Dear Michlin,

.... do you think that Active Camera could be the cause?

You could test that out by disabling it.

Pro Member Trainee
lawfer51 Trainee

Dear Michlin,

I even went one step further and completely uninstalled Active Camera, but unfortunately, the problem still persists, although sometimes the aircraft will not be completely, white or grey but will partially color in. (ie. tail or bands around the fuselage.)

You know better than I what settings or files that the addons look for. Could it be some setting or file that I could be missing?

thanks for hanging in there with me.

sincerely,
Larry

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Set your view to spot view and leave it.Now see if they eventually appear,just give your graphics card/chip time to process the textures

What you are describing is that fs9 is low on memory and a slow gfx card/chip

What gfx do you have and how much memory❓

Pro Member Trainee
lawfer51 Trainee

I have a Compaq Presario Laptop with 512MB memory. 128 Mb is dedicated to the graphics which is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP. Once program starts, I have about 338MB available.

How about swap file size? Could that have any bearing? I think I have it set to about 764 max.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

512mbs of memory is not a lot realy,XP uses at least 128mbs to run your gfx is getting 128 mbs and now we are down to 256mbs plus what ever else is running and fs9 Crying or Very sad we are running on empty

Try shutting every thing down thats running thats not needed
Ctrl+Alt+Del will call up a box showing you all thats running and what its using

If your not connected to the net when flying shutdown you firewall and antivirus,that shoul give you a few extra mbs to run with

Hope it helps

Pro Member Trainee
lawfer51 Trainee

Many thanks! You were right! I am very low on memory. Although a pain right now to have to disable almost everything on my system, it seems to have corrected my problem.

Thanks again,
Larry

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

🙂 Well, at least your flying again 👍

Extra ram will help,but there was a little program which might interest you called Ermm... 🤔 enditall or something( Help! anybody remember)
which you set up to shut down all the progs not needed with just one mouse click

Good luck and happy new year 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

End-It-All2 was free now it's payware.
They make a program for the flight sim that is supposed to do the same thing, close down unnecessary background programs.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Henning+Schaefer&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
lawfer51 Trainee

Thanks guys for recommending the program. I've tried over and over to use it. Unfortunately, the results were less than stellar. Not all functions are available the setting up the programs is a bit cryptic.

So far, my best option is to go into msconfig, go to services, hide all Microsoft functions, and uncheck everything else. Next, I go to startup and deselect everything there as well. Since my antivirus is disabled I also need to disable my internet connection. Tedious but effective.

If anyone knows of an easier way or another program that might work, I would me all ears.

Thanks again for all your support. The bottom line is that I'm flying again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 I have found two other things that may interest you ➡

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2948/fsautostart-v11/

Looks the same,more or less to endit all,but free

And this ➡

http://tweakfs.com/features_tfps.htm

There is quite an interesting read in the form of a PDF file about this product

Ill keep looking Read

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...