Accidental removal of scenery

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

Hi

I accidentally removed a scenery file from SCENERY/CITIES folder, the file being SYDNEY

When I started FS it came up with an message saying it couldn't find it, so I closed FS9 and put it straight back in. Restarted FS and all seemed fine, but when I try to load a flight, whether it's in Sydney or any other place, it crashes about 80% into loading.

I tried to add it back into FS from inside FS manually but it said it was already installed. What I find frustrating is that nowhere in the scenery list can I find either Cities or Sydney, so I am not sure what I need to do.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
jrocky Trainee

RichT wrote:

Hi

I accidentally removed a scenery file from SCENERY/CITIES folder, the file being SYDNEY

When I started FS it came up with an message saying it couldn't find it, so I closed FS9 and put it straight back in. Restarted FS and all seemed fine, but when I try to load a flight, whether it's in Sydney or any other place, it crashes about 80% into loading.

I tried to add it back into FS from inside FS manually but it said it was already installed. What I find frustrating is that nowhere in the scenery list can I find either Cities or Sydney, so I am not sure what I need to do.

Did you check the scenery.cfg file in FSX to see if Sydney is listed? Open scenery.cfg with notepad or other text editor.

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

I checked the scenery cfg and found the following:

[Area.033]
Title=Sydney Aerial Photo
Layer=34
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Local=Scenery\Cities\Sydney
Remote=

Pro Member Trainee
jrocky Trainee

RichT wrote:

I checked the scenery cfg and found the following:

[Area.033]
Title=Sydney Aerial Photo
Layer=34
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Local=Scenery\Cities\Sydney
Remote=

Interesting! I do not have FS2004, is there a repair listed upon reinserting the FS-2004 disk? Other than repair, not sure if a complete re-install is in order?

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

Eeeek - I really hope a complete re-install is not needed.

I have about 130 add-on sceneries, not to mention all the various utilities and freeware add-on sceneries etc.

Although I keep everything well organised and it's not impossible, it will take a very long time. It will also entail uninstalling everything first.

Looking in the FS9 folder, I see lots of 'Scenery_CFG_Before_****_was_installed' files. Do you know the purpose of these?
Do you think if I could find the one before this accident happened and rename as scenery, it may fix the problem?

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

I'd like to have Radarman back me up on this: Some time ago I had to uninstall and reinstall FS9, which I did, and all of my add-ons were still there. MAYBE it wouldn't work for you, that's why I'd like to hear from some others who may have had the same experience.
Radarman, or anyone who has been there, what's your advice?
Pete

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

pdegraff wrote:

I'd like to have Radarman back me up on this: Some time ago I had to uninstall and reinstall FS9, which I did, and all of my add-ons were still there. MAYBE it wouldn't work for you, that's why I'd like to hear from some others who may have had the same experience.
Radarman, or anyone who has been there, what's your advice?
Pete

Right.
The only way to do it is the Microsoft way.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888846

Follow that and you will get a clean install.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

OK, that's a fairly comprehensive set of instructions on how to uninstall FS2004, but it does not clearly indicate if you have to uninstall all payware add-on scenery beforehand, or if this process will remove those as well?

What about programmes like Active Sky, Radar Contact, AES etc,. do these need to be uninstalled?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

RichT wrote:

OK, that's a fairly comprehensive set of instructions on how to uninstall FS2004, but it does not clearly indicate if you have to uninstall all payware add-on scenery beforehand, or if this process will remove those as well?

What about programmes like Active Sky, Radar Contact, AES etc,. do these need to be uninstalled?

Everything!

The computer has to look as if it never had the Sim on it or else you will run into the same problems.
Quite few members have reinstalled Windows just to start out fresh.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...