Ground Scenery

Chris 14569 Guest

Recently I upgraded my OS to windows XP, everything works well with FS2004 except the ground texture is blank. There apears to be a problem with disk 4. Is it possible for Microsoft to replace this disk?, if not how can I resolve this problem. I can"t understand why it should be giving this problem as it worked perfectly running under Windows 98. I have 512 ram and My video card is NVidea Ge Force 3 Ti200, which performed perfectly with Win 98

Answers 31 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Not sure what the problem is but if the disk isn't working properly, you can ring up Microsoft Customer Service and they will replace the disl 😀 , theres also a crack if you want it, so you don't have to use the CD.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

99jolegg wrote:

theres also a crack if you want it, so you don't have to use the CD.

The crack is only good if you don't load the patch into fs9. I ran across a crack made for the updated version of fs9. I haven't
tried it yet. I found it in one of the links here on flyaway but I don't remember which one. I will see if I can find it again if you
are interested in it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 The new updated crack works OK
Have a search on Avsim for airport envioroment upgrade and d/load the latest version.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

tomthetank wrote:

😀 The new updated crack works OK
Have a search on Avsim for airport envioroment upgrade and d/load the latest version.

That is not the site I found it at, but it's probably the same crack. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Ermm... We have the updated nocd crack here ➡

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads.html

This is the one that works after the update

I have used it and it seemed OK,but now I have mounted CD4 on a virtual cd drive so I dont need it

VORboy Guest

I used the older no-cd patch first (on 9.0), then ran the 9.1 upgrade and everything works perfect.

chris 14569 Guest

I called Microsoft about my problem and they said a replacement disk 4 would cost me almost the same as replacing all four disks, so much for that, unless I can obtain a copy of disk four from anyone, I guess I
'm stuck with buying a replacement FS2004, or maybe I'll wait until FS2006 comes on the shelves whenever that is? Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

chris 14569 wrote:

I called Microsoft about my problem and they said a replacement disk 4 would cost me almost the same as replacing all four disks, so much for that, unless I can obtain a copy of disk four from anyone, I guess I
'm stuck with buying a replacement FS2004, or maybe I'll wait until FS2006 comes on the shelves whenever that is? Mad

You can get it almost free after rebate.

http://www.freeafterrebate.info/index.php?topic=software

Radar

chris 14569 Guest

Ok, back to square one.I decided to purchase new FS 2004 software disks, uninstall the old FS 2004, and install the new software. I was now convinced that this would solve my problem. How wrong I was.
No problem Installing, decided to hold my breath and Run. Everything was going well, until "Create a Flight" window appeared. I then clicked on "Fly". "Loading Scenery Objects" started followed by "Loading Terrain" then the message,"SCENERY ERROR"- Attempting to open non-existant directory. Click OK to continue". When the loading of files was complete, there we were, sitting in the cockpit, waiting to take off, with all the buildings and trees etc showing, but no texture to the ground, just a blank brown colour, Also I tried to operate the slew command by pressing Y and F4, but could not gain hight, just horizontal motion.
You can imagine I'm getting annoyed and frustrated with this problem, and I have tried everything the guys have suggested, you would think that with brand new software That would fix it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You have a very weak video card and if you were running 98 before on your machine my guess is that the CPU is well below 1.5 gig.
Shut down as many of the programs in the background as you can, lower all of the scenery, clouds, traffic, shadows and autogen sliders and see how it looks.
I don't know what drivers you are using but with an older video card sometimes older drivers work better than new ones.
Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed, SP1 or SP2 and all the latest Windows updates.
SP2 can cause some problems on an older machine.

Radar

Chris 14569 Guest

I tried all the fixes you suggested, and interestingly, after I clicked on "Fly", and the scenery files started to load up, I did not recieve the message "SCENERY ERROR--Attempting to open non-existent directory etc.", but alas the land texture, except around the airport, was blank.
I do have the latest DirectX installed, my video card is 'NVidea GForce34 T1 200', and my CPU is 'AMD Athlon(tm)XP1800,MMX, 3DNow~1.5GHz.' Perhaps this is my problem, I need a higher GHz CPU than what I have already.Windows XP SP2 is installed.
What do you suggest I can do to fix my slew, I cannot gain any altitude when I press F4, I can only slew horizontally.
I also installed previously, enhanced scenery software, and the location where this was scenery was, simply did not work , whereas, when I ran it in windows 98 it worked perfectly

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your computer is very similar to mine in power, (cpu and ram) but I have an excellent video card and that may be the difference.
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128.
If you SHUT OFF water, traffic, clouds, shadows, and keep scenery and autogen lower than default you should get the ground scenery back.
Also lower the distance view to about 30 miles or less.
Go to /start/run/type in msconfig and see how many programs you have in startup, that could be taking ram away from the sim.
Sometime when you first boot up go right to the sim and see if it looks better, that's because the background isn't loaded with programs yet.
Try taking off from an airport that's not overloaded with graphics like KSEA is.
Go to KRNT Renton, and see if the graphics are better.

You press "Y" and it won't go into slew?

W98 uses less ram than WXP so the scenery showed up better.

Radar

chris14569 Guest

I did as you suggested, and still the ground texture was missing. Trees were showing up ok, but everything else was blank, except the ground area, adjacent to the airport. The video card you suggested, ATI Radon 9800 Pro 128, I assume the 128 is the memory in MB's. My card , NVidea has 125MB of memory, although it does seem slow sometimes.
If you think that by changing my card to the one you suggested, then I may have to do that.
Is it possible that there could be a problem with Windows XP, It appears to run extreemly well for me, but it seems odd that the same problem occurs with my new FS2004 as it did with my previous FS2004.
What do you make of the message that appears when the scenery is loading:- SCENERY ERROR etc, why should that message appear every time?
The other problem. When I press the Y on my keyboard, it puts the aircraft into Slew mode, which it does, but I cannot gain altitude when I press F4 which takes the aircraft aloft untill F3 is pressed. I can only slew horizontally. Do you have any ideas on that ?
Sorry to be such a nuisance, but these problems take away the pleasures I enjoy when I fly, which I find very chalengeing

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

When your in slew mode press "Q" to climb,and "A" to desend

As for the missing textures,when yo reinstalled fs9 ,did you totally remove all of the old one

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Didn't the scenery error disappear now?
With all the sliders below default except scenery it should be showing up. There probably is a very simple answer that we a haven't stumbled on.
What FPS do you get.
As far as the video card goes your spending $200 on a new card for an old machine. I know, I did it.
Your call, let us know how you do.

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-10.html

Radar

Chris14569 Guest

Yes, I totally removed all fs9 files. In Slew mode, pressing Q and A had no effect.
No one yet has explained to me the message I get when the scenery files are loading. During the loading process, it is stopped by a message saying-----"SCENERY ERROR--Attempting to open a non-existant directory. Click OK to continue."
As far as Frame Rate, I've forgotten how to check this but generally speaking I get very little slowing of frame rate, ecept where the graphics is heavy, and even then its only a stutter.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Shift-Z-Z will bring up your frame rate.

Pro Member Trainee
peterock Trainee

Try opening your Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\World\texture folder and see if you have any .bmp files.
Any ground textures will be in that folder. The textures showing up in your airport addon scenery is in your new addon scenery/texture folder.
Maybe try this. There's a file called 2004_wood_desert.zip that has a set of replacement ground textures. Just search the zip name from http://www.avsim.com/ It's about 16mg in size. I personally prefer this set anyway, so I don't bother backing up the originals (but do it if you want). By searching for the default files as stated in the readme, you'll know if you have them installed or not anyway from your FS9 CD).
Trees are part of auto gen scenery and have nothing to do with the ground textures.
Also, I've heard from people having previously installed scenery problems after installing the update. I suspect that this is also the case with the nocd exe file. I never encountered any of this, because I had to reinstall FS9 at the time I picked up the update. I've reinstalled FS9 a couple times since then and have always installed the update as step#2. It is then recommended that you fire up FS9 before adding any extra addons. I've never had any problems with either the scenery or the old nocd exe file.
Don't know if this helps, but I hope so. Good Luck!

Today I went out and purchased a new video card, GForce FX 5200 oc.I ran the prog. and still had the same message "SCENERY ERROR etc."
Can anyone tell me what this means, as I am still not getting any ground texture. If anyone can tell me how to place a screen shot in this message you will be able to see what I am talking about. I know how to take a screen shot, but I don't know how to place it on a message like this

Pro Member Chief Captain

Placing a screen shot would be the best idea, as it will help RadarMan or TTT help you. Take a picture using Print Screen in top right of keyboard. Paste it into Paint or Picture Studio etc, and save it as a JPEG. Next, go to www.photobucket.com and submit that picture. Then copy the URL into your post, and your screenshot should appear 😀 . Hope that helps

Pro Member Chief Captain

Forgot to add: Make sure that before the URL is [img] and after it is [/img]

chris14569 Guest

This is my first attemt at using Photobucket, could not copy the graphic picture, but if you can look on that site perhaps a picture may appear!!!!

Chris 14569 Guest

I'm sorry its such a lousy picture, but I think you can get some idea of what I am seeing. Altogether I tried 3 different video cards, none of which solved the problem. I'm beginning to think that i may need to update my motherboard which is a Soltek, dated 2001. I've tried to download a driver from the Soltek site but mine was not listed.

Mr Googles Guest

I have a solution for you. It worked fine for me.
Insert the cd4 from fs2004: go to scenery folder and open world.cab with winzip. There you will find the texture folder. Copy this folder with its contents on your harddisk :Flight simulator\Scenery\World\ there you should have now both the scenery and the new texture folder. Bie! Hope it works... 😉

Mr Googles Guest

Not winzip... WinRAR

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Your CPU shouldn't be the problem, though it will be quite slow if you turn up the details. The graphics card will be struggling though and certainly not helping - how much memory does the graphics card have?

I've just splashed out on a new system, the specs are here;
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/4780/ordered-my-new-toys/
It's got 256Mb PCI-E graphics which should make higher texture loading possible.

chris 14569 Guest

I did as u suggested, using winRAR, and when I started extracting the files to override the existing files it stopped extracting with a message saying that WORLD.CAB archive file is corrupt. How can it be corrupt when I am extracting from disc 4?
I have been away for a month, that's why you have'nt heard from me lately. This is becoming so frusrating, I've tried almost everything, short of junking this computer and getting a new one, only I can't afford one just yet.
My problems started when I upgraded my operating system from win 98 to win xp

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

You could try a mate's PC to see if he can extract the CAB file? Then you'd know if it was your PC or your CD.

I have the exact same problem, but in my case I have narroed it down to the scenery/base directory (If I remove it from scenery.cfg, the error mesage disappears. Of course I then get no proper scenery either). Haven't found the solution yet. Oh, BTW in my case it can't be a CPU, RAM or video card problem. They are all new high ends (got a free computer for work 😀 )

In my case, the very same problem showed up right after I had installed FS9 (why is it 9 anyway - it's the tenth version I use...). After a long trial and error session I determined the solution:

Problem: My WORLD directory only had a SCENERY subdirectory (no clue why)

Solution: Extracted files from World.cab (CD4), subdirectory TEXTURE into
FS9/SCENERY/WORLD/TEXTURE/

Hope it helps!

Raw D Guest

Hi All

The solution to the problem is to fix the world.cab. You may use the "Advance Cab Repair" software, save it in any location on your Hard Drive. When done you may extract it to the C:\program files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\scenery\world. This will add those scenery and textures that were missing.

Enjoy

Raw D (Roddy).

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...