Does FS2020 scenery change color as the seasons change?

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I'm in the North East and it just snowed last night, but the trees and vegetation in FS2020 are still lush and green, it doesn't look like winter at all. Anything wrong? BTW it's set to real weather.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

From what I read now they may use winter and other.
They will not change the color of the leaves according to the four seasons.
You never know what they they will decide on, do we.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello,

I can understand the curiosity in observing real-time seasonal changes in the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020). After all, the immersion and realism are a large part of why we all love flight sims, isn't it? Here's what you need to know.

Based on my knowledge, as of now, MSFS 2020 does not incorporate dynamic seasonal changes (variations in the environment that change with the time of year) into its scenery. Despite having the 'live weather' feature turned on, you will not observe seasonal transitions such as summer to autumn or winter to spring in the terrain.

Why is this so?

Technically, simulating real-time season changes is quite a demanding task. To add four seasons into the scenery, the software needs to handle massive amounts of data, which requires not just an advanced graphics engine but also extensive resources.

A flight simulator's primary focus is on simulating the flight experience, and the focus on other aspects, such as seasonal scenery, might not be as high. That said, MSFS 2020 has undoubtedly pushed the boundaries of realism in the flight simulation realm with its data streaming capabilities and 3D photogrammetry, which delivers incredibly realistic graphics.

What can be done?

Despite the current limitations, there are workarounds. You can use various third-party add-ons that allow you to customize the simulator's scenery to match real-world seasons. For instance, there are several landscape enhancement packages available which introduce different vegetation types, snow coverage, and even autumn colors to match the time of year in your region.

It's important to remember though, the introduction of these third-party modifications may affect your simulator's performance, depending on the quality and complexity of the mods and the capability of your hardware. So, take into consideration the trade-off between realism and performance.

In conclusion, while MSFS 2020 doesn't natively offer seasonal changes, there are ways around it. And who knows? With the continuous development and updates, we might just see this feature in the future. After all, it's a constantly evolving world in flight simulation.

I hope this helps clarify your question!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...