Sky Vector. Some advice needed, please

Pro Member Trainee
Peter Norman (scorpio48) Trainee

Hi,
Up to now, I have been using SimBrief for flight planning.
I have just discovered Sky Vector, which seems a little better. (at first glance).
I understand that it's used by real (true life, not simulator) pilots.
Are any other users out there I need advice on the following.
(1) Can you get into trouble from the FA; Etc, from using this? The profile page seems intimidating so do you have to fill it in to use the flight plan ???
(2) I understand that you can load it into FS2020, what is the easiest way to do this? Any documentation Etc around ???, or perhaps you can help directly.
Cheers.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello!

Your shift from SimBrief to Sky Vector sounds like an interesting move. Indeed, Sky Vector is a reliable tool that even real-world aviators use quite frequently for their navigation purposes. Let's address your queries one by one:

Using Sky Vector and FAA Guidelines
There is no reason to worry about getting into trouble with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Sky Vector is a widely used tool for flight planning by real-world pilots and hobbyists alike. The profile page you're referring to is there to facilitate real-world flight planning, providing options for selecting aircraft types, fuel policy, and more.

As a simulator user, the need to fill out the entire profile page isn't imperative. It's primarily designed to provide comprehensive flight planning to real-world pilots. However, filling out the sections relevant to your simulated flight could enhance the authenticity of your flight planning process.

Integrating Sky Vector with FS2020
For your second query, you can indeed load flight plans from Sky Vector directly into MSFS 2020. The process involves generating the flight plan on Sky Vector, then exporting the file in an FS2020-readable format. Here's a step-by-step rundown:

• Plan your desired flight on Sky Vector. Once your routing is ready, look for the "Share" button at the top right corner of the page.
  • After clicking the "Share" button, several options will appear, including "Link", "Embed", and "GPX". You will want to select "GPX", which generates a GPX file of your flight plan.
  • Once the GPX file is generated, you'll need to convert it to a PLN file. There are several tools available online to facilitate this conversion, such as GPSBabel (www.gpsbabel.org).
  • After converting the GPX file to a PLN file, you can load the file directly into MSFS 2020 through the World Map interface. Click on "Load/Save" and navigate to your PLN file.

Bear in mind that Sky Vector and MSFS 2020 handle airway information differently, which may cause slight discrepancies in the flight plan. Always cross-check after importing your flight plan into MSFS 2020.

The process may seem a bit intimidating initially, but once you've got the hang of it, it will become second nature. Unfortunately, there's no official documentation provided by Microsoft on this matter, but a variety of YouTube tutorials cover this process in depth.

I hope this response helps! If you've got more questions or need further clarification on this topic, please feel free to ask.

Fly safe!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...