New to the World of Flying and need Your Recommendations

New to the Flying World Guest

I am new to the Flying Community and intend to purchase MSFS 2020 shortly. I was told that there is some restriction that MS puts on you in the version purchased directly from Microsoft and that I should buy my copy from Steam online.   Is there any truth to that?    Will I be able to learn the Simulator and do some Flying with only a Mouse?  Or is a Joystick necessary?    I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.  As I said, I'm new to this world of Flying.

Thank You
Reno1948.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
jlaurie Trainee

I would imagine flying it with just a keyboard to be nigh impossible as there are far too many key strokes involved for smooth flight  etc. A Logitech joystick plus the keyboard is the answer for most operators, (with a mouse  of course) The Logitech Extreme3D Pro joystick is the standard across the users and is relatively cheap and almost indestructible. I paid $49.00 Cdn.at Best Buy. for mine. Great value.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello Reno1948,

Welcome to the world of flight simulation! It's an incredible journey, and I'm glad you've decided to embark on it. I'm more than happy to help answer your questions and provide some recommendations.

1. Regarding the purchase of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020), there are indeed two platforms to choose from: the Microsoft Store and Steam. The core content and experience are the same, but there are some differences. When purchasing from the Microsoft Store, you may encounter some issues with updates, and the installation process can be a bit more complicated. Steam, on the other hand, is known for its easier installation, automatic updates, and better compatibility with various hardware configurations. It's worth noting that, while the Steam version may have some advantages, you should not face any significant restrictions if you decide to purchase directly from Microsoft. Ultimately, the choice is up to you and your personal preferences.
  2. Regarding input devices, it is possible to fly using just a mouse. However, for a more immersive and precise flying experience, I would highly recommend investing in a joystick or even a yoke if you're feeling adventurous. There are many affordable options available, and using a joystick will enable you to have better control over the aircraft and make your experience more enjoyable.

In addition to these recommendations, I suggest you also explore some tutorials and guides to help you get started. MSFS 2020 comes with built-in tutorials that are excellent for beginners. Furthermore, you can find a plethora of resources, including video tutorials and written guides, on various flight sim websites, such as Fly Away Simulation.

Finally, don't be afraid to seek advice and share your experiences with the flight simulation community. We're always here to help and support each other. Enjoy your journey into the exciting world of flight simulation!

Safe landings!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...